Hello! I'm here to troubleshoot my LX289

Tangelo123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, everyone! I have a JD LX289. It has the Kawasaki 17hp liquid-cooled engine. 54in deck with 330 hours. After about 45 minutes of mowing it acts like it's not getting enough gas. If I stop and let it rest for about an hour it starts right up and runs perfect. It did this since I first bought it used from my local JD dealer. I replaced the carburetor and fuel pump which seemed to help. Had it serviced by the dealer at the beginning of this season and it was running even better. Then it started acting up again after 3 months of use. Exact same issue. Any help is appreciated.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Start by getting yourself a cheaper spark tester, auto parts store, Harbor Frieght, etc. Then the next time it happens see if you have good spark on each cylinder. In my opinion there are normally four things which will cause this problem. A coil which has a hot short or open when it gets hot. Vapor locking when it gets hot. Head gasket going bad one one or both cylinders when it gets hot. Valve clearance changes when it gets hot. We will need to start somewhere to eliminate the cause one at a time, not jumping around. Don’t assume anything can be eliminated until you have tested it and proved it is not your problem. Finally when you post back, make sure you include all engine numbers so we know what you are working on.

PS: Delete your other thread, no need for two, as it can get very confusing if different members are posting on different threads dealing with the same problem.

Tangelo123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Start by getting yourself a cheaper spark tester, auto parts store, Harbor Frieght, etc. Then the next time it happens see if you have good spark on each cylinder. In my opinion there are normally four things which will cause this problem. A coil which has a hot short or open when it gets hot. Vapor locking when it gets hot. Head gasket going bad one one or both cylinders when it gets hot. Valve clearance changes when it gets hot. We will need to start somewhere to eliminate the cause one at a time, not jumping around. Don’t assume anything can be eliminated until you have tested it and proved it is not your problem. Finally when you post back, make sure you include all engine numbers so we know what you are working on.

PS: Delete your other thread, no need for two, as it can get very confusing if different members are posting on different threads dealing with the same problem.

Thanks for the response. Engine is the Kawasaki FD501V. I doubt it's plugs since they were changed when it was serviced. Plus I changed them when I bought it. But I'll give it a shot. Sorry for the double posts. I'm trying to delete the other one.

arch252

Threads
I have that same engine on my LX279 and had the exact same issue. I tried just about everything. I had installed a bumper guard and the side plate was redirecting hot exhaust air toward the front of the engine, getting the carb too hot and causing it to vapor lock.

Compact7

Threads
Plugged gas tank cap? Easy to check, loosen the cap when it happens again.