heavy Iron ore soil

Patman68

Threads
Hello live in Ruston Louisiana the soil here for the most part is heavy with Iron Ore, till soil and you will get large iron ore rocks. I also have a heavy shaded yard with hickory/oak and pine trees scattered around the yard. I have tried many types of grass or ground cover trying to find something that works. If you till soil or do some dirt work it takes for ever for the little bit of grass I do have to recover. I have bear spots in my yard where the grass has just vanished, it has been very dry this season so that is a factor. Was wondering what would be the best grass to try in these conditions? In the sunny spots I do have decent grass but it will not spread beyond that so I would like to get something that would grow in these soil conditions.

Thanks,

Pat

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello live in Ruston Louisiana the soil here for the most part is heavy with Iron Ore, till soil and you will get large iron ore rocks. I also have a heavy shaded yard with hickory/oak and pine trees scattered around the yard. I have tried many types of grass or ground cover trying to find something that works. If you till soil or do some dirt work it takes for ever for the little bit of grass I do have to recover. I have bear spots in my yard where the grass has just vanished, it has been very dry this season so that is a factor. Was wondering what would be the best grass to try in these conditions? In the sunny spots I do have decent grass but it will not spread beyond that so I would like to get something that would grow in these soil conditions.

Thanks,

Pat

I don't know if iron ore is the same as iron fertilizer but if it is get some good nitrogen fertilizer they work great together.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't know about where you live but here in upper NY I can take a soil sample to the county offices and they will have it tested at a agriculture collage and they will tell you just what you need to make most anything to grow. Farmers have this done all the time.

possum

Threads
That Reynoldston is a smart feller. And what He suggest is just what you should do.

BARBIE919

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks I will do just that
I live very close to you in Athens and I have the same problem. Very hard Iron ore with rocks, red dirt. Did you find anything that worked? Most of mine is not shaded but sunny.