GVC 160 - Starts but won't keep running after new carb, gas line, gas, etc...

talferez

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / GVC 160 - Starts but won't keep running after new carb, gas line, gas, etc...
I've followed the videos and instructions I could find. First, I cleaned everything, including changing the gas, flushing the lines, taking the carb apart and cleaning it...etc...then I replaced the carb with a new one...still the same...

The engine will start with starting fluid but will not stay running. It's like ZERO fuel is being sucked into the engine. The carb bowl is full...and it's a new carb...but it won't get into the engine...

any ideas or hope?!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / GVC 160 - Starts but won't keep running after new carb, gas line, gas, etc...
Take the rocker cover off and check that the valves are moving when you pull the starter rope
That drive belt system is very reliable but it can break or even skip a tooth .

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Take the rocker cover off and check that the valves are moving when you pull the starter rope
That drive belt system is very reliable but it can break or even skip a tooth .
Also common for the rocker arms (which open the valves) to crack on these GCV models. I've already replaced 1 this spring, about 4 or 5 over the last 3 years.
Usually if the exhaust rocker breaks the recoil rope is harder to pull. Not sure of any tell tell signs of the intake rocker being cracked. But like bert said, remove the cover and have a look.
Be careful with the rocker cover as they get bent easily during removal if RTV was used during assembly.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Put your hand over the carb mouth and pull the handle. See if you feel suction.