Engine Gt2550 Flame came out of exhaust

avoglade39

Threads
My mower started emitting a LARGE amount of white smoke then a Flame came out of the exahust when I restarted it. Any ideas

Threads
This much smoke? I dug around for the phone to snap this photo. It was a ginormous cloud, covered the sky above me. I had used a cleaner...this is clearing out all the burnt oil. (Mower $crapped)

But FLAMES? Yipes!!! With all the problems I had.... never saw flames... I'd be concerned to crank it back up...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130419_182615.png
    ForumRunner_20130419_182615.png
    490.1 KB · Views: 11

putterman46

Threads
This much smoke? I dug around for the phone to snap this photo. It was a ginormous cloud, covered the sky above me. I had used a cleaner...this is clearing out all the burnt oil. (Mower $crapped)

But FLAMES? Yipes!!! With all the problems I had.... never saw flames... I'd be concerned to crank it back up...

Pull the dipstick and smell it. It will probably smell like gas because there is a defective auto shutoff or there is no shutoff valve in line. Gas is leaking into the engine and crankcase when sitting. Put a fuel shutoff valve inline, drain the oil, crank the engine with the spark plug out, refill with oil. You may want to let it sit for awhile to dry out any residual gasoline. always shut off the fuel when not in use.
This is a very common problem even with tractors that have automatic shut off valves.

avoglade39

Threads
Thanks for the advise...I will check the oil dip stick etc.