Greetings, everyone! I have a terrible problem with weeds in my lawn...advice please.

Monte1076

Threads
  • / Greetings, everyone! I have a terrible problem with weeds in my lawn...advice please.
Greetings everyone. This is my first post, and I'm at my wit's end.

I live in Texas and kind of have a Bermuda lawn. At least that's what they put down when they built my house. My front and back yard are mostly weeds of many different varieties. I'm really, really wanting to get rid of these weeds. I've tried various granular weed killers to no real effect.

I bought some off-brand Tenacity earlier this year, and did a couple of applications, and that kinda-sorta worked. Maybe a few more applications there?

My bigger problem is my back yard. It's probably 90% weeds. I have two mowers. One that I use that can barely handle it, and a Fiskars reel mower. I'd like to have my lawn in shape enough to just use the reel mower. And to enjoy my backyard again.

I'm looking for tips, and products I can use to get rid of the weeds. If anyone knows of a very effective granular weed killer (or something similar to Tenacity) that I can use, as well as a grass that I could overseed with, it would be very much appreciated.

So far, aside from some results with the off-brand Tenacity, nothing has really worked.

Thank you for any tips or advice!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
  • / Greetings, everyone! I have a terrible problem with weeds in my lawn...advice please.
Howdy neighbor,
If you have a tractor supply nearby look at this, 1604704543473.png

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I don't believe so, might could call TSC and they might can look for you.

Active Ingredient(s)Dimethylamine salt of 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid

Monte1076

Threads
I don't believe so, might could call TSC and they might can look for you.

Active Ingredient(s)Dimethylamine salt of 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid

Thank you again! I will look into this.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I've had very good results with it, especially on woody weeds.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Chlorinated hydrocarbons are far more dangerous that glyco ever will be.
Despite what all the conspiracy clots like to say glyco is the safest herbicide ever invented WHEN USED AS DIRECTED .
But because it has become so wide spread people treat it with contempt and virtually go swimming in it, don't bother to wear any PPE or even wash their hands after using it .
And if you read the findings of the idiot moron Californian court ruling then you will see it is based on semantics not on science or any reasonable evidence .

Remember OXYGEN causes cancer but no one tells you not to breathe .
In your situation I would be inclined to kill all of the grassed area, rotary hoe in a lot of compost, top dress with quality loam then reseed.
Your weeds are not the problem they are the symptom of very unhealthy or total lack of soil underneath the weeds.
Builder have a bad habit of scalping all of the top soil before they start to build .
Then when finished simply level the clay which is chockers will all sorts of building debris & waste then just roll out turf mats over the top to cover everything up.
A bit of very high nitrogen fertalizer and a lot of water and it looks beautiful, the day you sign the last cheque .

Even worse is the spray on grass seeds so you can have grass growing directly on top of rocks, old iron . glass or plastic sheeting.