Greenworks Corded Dethatcher 27022 Overheating

toolazyforalogin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I have a Greenworks Corded Dethatcher model 27022. It is 6 years old so I'm out of warranty but I only use it once a year and I thought I would get more life out of it. I'm finding the thermal breaker keeps tripping as I use the machine and the motor is getting quite hot. I've taken off the cover to clean out any grass as well as ensure the wheels move freely. It lasts about 7-8 seconds on grass but if I lean it back and run it (through the air) it doesn't stop running (since there really isn't a load on it). Is there a way to try to get some more life out of it?

I'm using a 100 ft 12/3 gauge cord which according to the specs should not be a problem.

Thoughts? Thank you in advance for any help.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
have you tried measuring the amp draw with a clamp on amp meter to see how it compares to specs? Also trying it on a different extension cord plugged into a different circuit in the house? I had compressor motor that did that under load, vs no load and it turned out to have a shorted winding. Had to replace the motor. As long as it turns freely and is not binding, it is likely to be either a bad motor, or low voltage at the motor.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You probably have a bad bearing in the dethatcher that overloads the engine when there is a load on it
If it has brushes then the communiator many need cleaning or the brushes replacing
You do get corrosion in there particularly if it spends a lot of time sitting unused .