Great Dane Chariot 60" Blade Belt Tension Spring Replacement

graydog

Threads
  • / Great Dane Chariot 60" Blade Belt Tension Spring Replacement
My Great Dane Chariot 60" Blade Belt Tension Spring (part #D28025) broke so I got a OEM spring on the 'net for $25.00 and replaced it. Eight weeks and about 30 hours of use later, the new one broke just like the first one did. The spring has a hook on each end and one of there hooks broke off. On both, it looked as though the spring was not tempered correctly, making it way too brittle. I went to Tractor Supply and found a spring not quiet as long but near the same as the OEM springs. Since it was not quiet as strong as the OEM, I bought another slightly smaller spring that would fit inside the big one, increasing the power of the big one. This seems to be working great and the 2 springs from Tractor Supply cost $9.00 total. The money saved was not a big deal, but if the springs are defective and are going to break every 2 months, that could be annoying, to say the least.

I had previously replaced the J bolt used to tighten the spring with a chain similar to the one on the Hustler ZTR. I tighten and loosen the spring by pulling on the end of the chain with a come-along. That works great and is much better than the J bolt that the mower had from the factory.

The first photo shows the 2nd spring that broke. The second photo shows both OEM springs. The one on the left has a loop attached. This worked for 10 days while I was waiting for the 2nd spring to arrive. It is still good and I will keep it for a spare. The little band is just a little piece of stainless steel I cut and threaded it trough the spring coil and tacked ir with my MIG welder using SS wire. I mowed my 15 acres with this modified spring and it worked great.

Attachments

• IMG_0411.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0413.jpg
    IMG_0413.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 5

graydog

Threads
Here are photos of the tension springs and chain on the mower. A "U" shaped pin is inserted through a chain link to lock it into place. I tie up the excess chain after adjustment is made. I left the chain long so I can hook it onto a come-along and tighten or loosen it.
GD Tension spring 2.jpg GD Tension spring 1.jpg GD Tension spring 3.jpg

Nwatson99

Threads
Here are photos of the tension springs and chain on the mower. A "U" shaped pin is inserted through a chain link to lock it into place. I tie up the excess chain after adjustment is made. I left the chain long so I can hook it onto a come-along and tighten or loosen it.

I understand the concept for the chain and yes good idea for replacement of the spring, however you possibly just enabled a bounce in the spring and possibly now have the risk of the spring hitting your deck belt while you are mowing.
The J-bolt from the original design kept the spring tight like you have now, but there should have been no bounce with the J-bolt like you could possibly have now with the chain.
Just keep an eye on the belt and check it regularly for wear, but after mowing if there is any contact it will show clearly on the end of your spring, chain, or slap scratching on your deck.

graydog

Threads
Thanks Nwatson99, I'll watch it for bounce, but everything seems fine.

graydog

Threads
Nwatosn99: "..........there should have been no bounce with the J-bolt like you could possibly have now with the chain."

I cut about 2 acres this AM. I raised the floorboard up while mowing to look-see. No spring bounce. :)

Nwatson99

Threads
Nwatosn99: "..........there should have been no bounce with the J-bolt like you could possibly have now with the chain."

I cut about 2 acres this AM. I raised the floorboard up while mowing to look-see. No spring bounce. :)

Excellent you have a good strong spring then, just keep you eye on it during a few more mows and inspect it while you are doing your oil change, greasing, etc.
Also check deflection on your U shaped pin you used for securing the chain to make sure it is not bending or deflecting it, if it does then you just need to move up a size.