Repairs Greasing Steering Gears

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Lucas brand lithium #2 red tacky grease is ideal for lubricating steering sector & pinion gears, available at most auto parts stores, give it a try.
Opinions, almost everyone has them, whereas common sense not everyone is blessed. Running steering sector & pinion gears dry will do more harm than good, depending on use, last a few years. If you do not lubricate annually, metal shavings will appear as well as worn teeth on gears. Some dealers & their mechanics/technicians do not want you to know this because they want to make that expensive repair & your money. Most if not all new mowers with steering sector & pinion gears come not greased, expensive or not so much. If you're worried about dirt getting into grease, purchase or fabricate a rubber boot to cover gears.

Rivets, you should have stayed in the classroom on this one.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would not recommend any grease on the steering pinion or sector gears. All it will do is attract dirt and they will wear prematurely.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have always useed dry litlhum grease applied liberally and left for an hour or two to dry thoroughly.

xjcacher

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lucas brand lithium #2 red tacky grease is ideal for lubricating steering sector & pinion gears, available at most auto parts stores, give it a try.
Opinions, almost everyone has them, whereas common sense not everyone is blessed. Running steering sector & pinion gears dry will do more harm than good, depending on use, last a few years. If you do not lubricate annually, metal shavings will appear as well as worn teeth on gears. Some dealers & their mechanics/technicians do not want you to know this because they want to make that expensive repair & your money. Most if not all new mowers with steering sector & pinion gears come not greased, expensive or not so much. If you're worried about dirt getting into grease, purchase or fabricate a rubber boot to cover gears.

Rivets, you should have stayed in the classroom on this one.

I've got a craftsman I bought new in 99 never greased the sector and pinion gears and just replaced the pinion and sector assy. last year, so if a few years is 17 then I agree.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We must be talking about two different gears. The sector gear I'm talking about is a large flat plate with teeth on one edge and one or twotie rods attached to it, which on the cheaper tractors is behind the dash sitting wide open so everything can rest on top of it. The pinion is on the end of the steering shaft, meshing with the sector gear, again wide open. On a few of the more expensive units it may be located under the chassis frame, but still open to everything. There is no way to put a boot on it. What parts are you talking about? Classroom is open, teach me something!!