Repairs Grease/Lubricant for Troy Bilt ZTR

ramaka

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All:
I recently bought a 42 XP Mustang Troy Bilt ZTR and am quite happy with it being a first time mower buy of any kind :)! I read the manual and it suggests to use Benalene Grease as part of maintenance for the wheel bearings and axles. I find that this grease is hard to find and when you do indeed find one it is pretty damn expensive. So was wondering what alternative grease/lubricant you would suggest to use. Thanks for your time and help.
Cheers!
Ramaka!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Benalene is just a liquid grease, NLGI #0 or #00. Auto parts stores should carry it for around $10.00 a tube for a grease gun.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you are going to put that stuff in a grease gun you need to use one that does not have a plunger similar to this type
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tricor-AMB450-Double-Lever-Grease-Gun-Pump-450g-450cc-magnetic-Tricor-Macnaught-/321649298984?hash=item4ae3cace28:g:E~AAAOSwxYxUzZtH

This grease is really thin and melts if left in strong sun which is why they use it in the spindles so it will not harden and not touch the bearings.
In a normal gun it dripples out of the plunger / piston end and gets very messy very quickly.
The Tricor guns I now use have a rubber plug in the bottom that do not leak and is drawn up the grease cylinder as you pump the grease out.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you are going to put that stuff in a grease gun you need to use one that does not have a plunger similar to this type
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tricor-AMB450-Double-Lever-Grease-Gun-Pump-450g-450cc-magnetic-Tricor-Macnaught-/321649298984?hash=item4ae3cace28:g:E~AAAOSwxYxUzZtH

This grease is really thin and melts if left in strong sun which is why they use it in the spindles so it will not harden and not touch the bearings.
In a normal gun it dripples out of the plunger / piston end and gets very messy very quickly.
The Tricor guns I now use have a rubber plug in the bottom that do not leak and is drawn up the grease cylinder as you pump the grease out.

Well I think I would stick with the squeeze tube then.

possum

Threads
MTD 737-0300A That is The grease that is called benalene by MTD. You can order it through a dealer, direct from Troybilt or MTD, on the internet, Ebay etc. MTD has at one time or another used benaline for almost everything from transmission grease to foot pedal lube. For the bushings and deck wheels, front wheels. axels etc. any grease will work. By the way. any one who has torn down a MTD belt drive forward reverse tranny knows benaline is not thin, nor is it 00 grease. Benaline can be removed with your hands. It is that thick, and sticky. MTD claims it is re useable unless it is mixed with dirt or sand or metal filings.

ramaka

Forum Newbie
Threads
MTD 737-0300A That is The grease that is called benalene by MTD. You can order it through a dealer, direct from Troybilt or MTD, on the internet, Ebay etc. MTD has at one time or another used benaline for almost everything from transmission grease to foot pedal lube. For the bushings and deck wheels, front wheels. axels etc. any grease will work. By the way. any one who has torn down a MTD belt drive forward reverse tranny knows benaline is not thin, nor is it 00 grease. Benaline can be removed with your hands. It is that thick, and sticky. MTD claims it is re useable unless it is mixed with dirt or sand or metal filings.

Hi Possum:
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did see the MTD 737-0300A, but man is it expensive (close to $30 for an 8 ox tube with S/H included), so was hoping for a cheaper alternative.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hi Possum:
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did see the MTD 737-0300A, but man is it expensive (close to $30 for an 8 ox tube with S/H included), so was hoping for a cheaper alternative.

Belalene is a brand name, not a type of grease and should have 3 numbers after it to signify which particular one it is.

I use 00 grease in MTD trannies .
In fact I use it in every box with the exception of hydros naturally.
Caveat on that is it never snows here so the grease never feezes.
I buy it in 25 liter ( 5 gallon ) drums for $ 75 Aust.
It gets used in a lot of older tractor gearboxes which is why I buy it from a tractor shop.
It melts at 120 deg C where it flows like 150 gear & diff oil.
Works a treat but will weep a little from the axel bushes as MTD boxes have no seals.