Gravely ZT HD 48" or 52"

MDONEK

Forum Newbie
Threads
After checking out several models I've decided to go with the Gravely HD series instead of the Hustler Raptor SD. My only hang up is deciding between the 52" or 48". It takes me about 21/2 hrs to mow with a conventional 46" rider. I have a fairly steep mound system that I mow and about 10 - 12 trees,shrubs,etc. Since there is only $100 difference in price I was thinking the 52" but not sure if it will cut as good as a 48". Any sugestions from those of you that own either one would be appreciated.

Vanousb

Threads
After checking out several models I've decided to go with the Gravely HD series instead of the Hustler Raptor SD. My only hang up is deciding between the 52" or 48". It takes me about 21/2 hrs to mow with a conventional 46" rider. I have a fairly steep mound system that I mow and about 10 - 12 trees,shrubs,etc. Since there is only $100 difference in price I was thinking the 52" but not sure if it will cut as good as a 48". Any sugestions from those of you that own either one would be appreciated.

I would do the 52 in h cut. Gravely is good mower. They will cut almost (if not) identical I think.

RCCola45

Threads

I was in same boat you are in a couple of months ago. Gravely sure looks like a great mower and not going to try and change your mind on that but something else to think about with the deck size.

I ended up wanting to get the Toro Titan and had to decide between the 48 or 54 inch cut. I went with the 54 and here's why. The left side the deck on the 48 inch come out about even with the rear wheel so when snugging up to a tree to get close ... that rear wheel would be close to touching the tree. With the 54 inch deck ... its the deck that I get up close with and don't have to worry about the rear tire. Also when going around bushes ... I get a bit deeper in them with that extra 6 inchs of deck sticking out there. I think the difference in price for me was also close to 100 and I am glad I spent it. If its your 1st time on ZT ... take your time. I would say after the 3rd time mowing here that I am starting to feel confident ...

Timm

P5190071.jpg

Vanousb

Threads
Agree with RCCola45 advice about bigger mowing deck offering better chance to mower closer to obstacles. My 60 inch ZT mower (Exmark Pioneer) had an off-set deck made to better mow around obstacles. Did not realize how useful until I had mowed a couple times around trees, landscape, etc.. Nice detail to add to a Zero turn for impressive finish.

pcclipper

Threads
I think he is asking about quality of cut between the 48 and 52, seeing they are both the same engine hp, with 4" difference in width. If not what he was asking then I am.

Vanousb

Threads
I think he is asking about quality of cut between the 48 and 52, seeing they are both the same engine hp, with 4" difference in width. If not what he was asking then I am.

Both sizes offer same blade speed at 18000 and have same deck build based on specs found. That being th case I would assume they will offer equal overall cut performance in theory. http://www.gravely.com/en-us/Gravely_Downloads/SellSheet_ZTHD.pdf offers spect from 2013 model which is same engine and deck so I ssume same for 2014. That being said, the small details like a larger deck sticks out to allow the cut to be closer in places is where IMO the better cut comes from. Sure so done mowing with gravely would have better opinion than mine, but thought I would offer.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

It's pretty common for any manufacturer to have the same engine on a 48" as they have on a 52"(or 54"). Once you get up to a 60" deck or larger you will need a bit more power. The 52" will have as good of quality cut as the 48" with that FR691V.

MDONEK

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the input. I ended going with the 52", figured it was worth the xtra $100 and it also has a bit wider front end which I felt made it a smoother ride on rougher terrain. Only put an hr on the new Gravely but I can already tell I'm not gonna dread mowing the lawn anymore and actually looking forward to it. The 23hp Kawasaki engine seems alot quieter than my old 17 hp Kohler, but I imagine having the engine behind you instead of in front makes up some of the difference as well. But anyway the 52" cuts excellent and I'm glad I went with it.

Vanousb

Threads
Congrats. I think you made the right size choice. Like you said, I find i look forward to mowing more than every now with the New exmark. Quality mower makes a huge difference. Post some pics of the new ride.:thumbsup:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the input. I ended going with the 52", figured it was worth the xtra $100 and it also has a bit wider front end which I felt made it a smoother ride on rougher terrain. Only put an hr on the new Gravely but I can already tell I'm not gonna dread mowing the lawn anymore and actually looking forward to it. The 23hp Kawasaki engine seems alot quieter than my old 17 hp Kohler, but I imagine having the engine behind you instead of in front makes up some of the difference as well. But anyway the 52" cuts excellent and I'm glad I went with it.

Welcome to the growing Gravely family on the forums!!! You're gonna love mowing your yard now. And yes.....post some pictures when you get a chance(we wanna see it:0)