Gravely ZT/ Ariens Zoom vs Hustler Raptor vs Toro timecutter

bruce4

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Gravely ZT/ Ariens Zoom vs Hustler Raptor vs Toro timecutter
Hello everyone new to the forum. I've been reading all the reviews that I could find on smaller residential ZT mowers. Mostly checked these four out for comparison. Based my decision on Yard size .29 acre and price, $2800. Most reviews were very good on all. Since the Hustler Raptor is pretty new It did have the most negative reviews. Ok First checked out Toro 42" with Kohler 22hp. Fine machine but my wife and I did not like that the steering arms had to be lined up with the slots to go into reverse or neutral. Also due to Kawasaki engine shortage could not get a 21.5 Kawi engine. So next we tested the Raptor 42". Very smooth and solid machine very well built. Again though had to line up arms to go into reverse or neutral. Our other concern was the deck. I know it is fabricated not stamped but it also has the smallest discharge hole I ever seen. The deck was also lacking in depth and was a three point deck not four I believe. If it wasn't for some bad reviews on the deck and belt tensioner probably would have bought the raptor. Next was Ariens Zoom and Gravely ZT 42" also tested 48"XL. Ariens was nearly perfect. The Kohler engine was a little loud but vibrations were averge. Really liked the features of engine cover and foot assisted deck lift. Best of all the Ariens and Gravely do not have slots for reverse and neutral for easily moving back and forth. Gravely ZT 42 is identical to the Ariens Zoom except for the 21.5 Kawasaki. The Gravely 48" XL was the nicest most comfortable riding mower we ever rode. A heavy duty residential mower. I just could not justify spending $1400 more for my quarter acre even though my wife wanted it. I really wanted a Kawasaki engine so we went with the Gravely ZT 42. We have not cut grass yet but so far our only complaint seems to be vibration. The Kawasaki engine seems to vibrate the whole machine more than the kohler did on the Ariens. Well that's what we got and what we thought of all the brands. Hope this helps anyone looking at these machines. In a few weeks I will give a review of the ZT 42 after a few cuts. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello everyone new to the forum. I've been reading all the reviews that I could find on smaller residential ZT mowers. Mostly checked these four out for comparison. Based my decision on Yard size .29 acre and price, $2800. Most reviews were very good on all. Since the Hustler Raptor is pretty new It did have the most negative reviews. Ok First checked out Toro 42" with Kohler 22hp. Fine machine but my wife and I did not like that the steering arms had to be lined up with the slots to go into reverse or neutral. Also due to Kawasaki engine shortage could not get a 21.5 Kawi engine. So next we tested the Raptor 42". Very smooth and solid machine very well built. Again though had to line up arms to go into reverse or neutral. Our other concern was the deck. I know it is fabricated not stamped but it also has the smallest discharge hole I ever seen. The deck was also lacking in depth and was a three point deck not four I believe. If it wasn't for some bad reviews on the deck and belt tensioner probably would have bought the raptor. Next was Ariens Zoom and Gravely ZT 42" also tested 48"XL. Ariens was nearly perfect. The Kohler engine was a little loud but vibrations were averge. Really liked the features of engine cover and foot assisted deck lift. Best of all the Ariens and Gravely do not have slots for reverse and neutral for easily moving back and forth. Gravely ZT 42 is identical to the Ariens Zoom except for the 21.5 Kawasaki. The Gravely 48" XL was the nicest most comfortable riding mower we ever rode. A heavy duty residential mower. I just could not justify spending $1400 more for my quarter acre even though my wife wanted it. I really wanted a Kawasaki engine so we went with the Gravely ZT 42. We have not cut grass yet but so far our only complaint seems to be vibration. The Kawasaki engine seems to vibrate the whole machine more than the kohler did on the Ariens. Well that's what we got and what we thought of all the brands. Hope this helps anyone looking at these machines. In a few weeks I will give a review of the ZT 42 after a few cuts. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Welcome to the growing Gravely clan on these forums!!! You won't regret investing in a Gravely ZTR and we look forward to an honest review after you have used it and some pictures(we wanna see it:0)

bruce4

Forum Newbie
Threads

Ok My wife has ten cuts on the mower and she likes it not love it. She still likes the XL model better. It was much more comfortable. Also this gravely mower will burn your grass every time you stop while the mower is on. Ariens sent a heat shield but of course they sent me the wrong one. Still waiting for a new heat shield. Even though I like the mower it cuts so beautifully. Its fast and powerfull. Just wish it did not vibrate so much. Once we get the new heat shield I'm sure we'll love it.:thumbsup:

wgra85

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for this post Bruce4.. I am in the same process of looking for a mower just like you. Have even looked at the same ones. I have a couple more to check on before the final decision. wgra85

Talons06

Threads
Hi Guys and Gals too.

I have had a Gravely 1540 for 10 yrs now and I don't have any complaints. Just some maintenance and they run forever. However, the new ones don't have the fabricated deck, they are a little lighter built. I'd buy another one when this one wares out. It has mower 3 yards for over 5 years and my own yard ( 2 ac.) for the last 10 years.

The tires are worn out , but I'll put on new ones. I have replaced the spinals last year and the battery just gave it up this spring. The only major repair, I just completed, was the left axle broke. I got the parts from Hydro Gear and is up and running. Replaced the front caster bearings this year as well. These mowers are easy to repair and work on. They are a lot more heavy duty for home use than the others that I've seen.

I''l buy another Gravely when I gives up repairing this one, but I don't know how long that will be as long as the deck and frame hold up, you can fix the rest.

Talons06