Gravely Promaster 44Z blade replacement.

satman858

Threads
I own a 2006 Gravely Promaster 44Z model # 991023, and was thinking about replacing my mulching blades myself this time around.

I can not find any blade replacement instructions on the Ariens/Gravely website. I found a place to download the Owners manual and Parts manual, (which do not have blade replacement instructions) but was unable to find a download for a Service manual.

From under the mower facing the blade, does the 15/16 blade bolt unscrewed counter-clockwise like normal or does this bolt loosen clockwise?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to these Forums...
Counter clockwise will remove them... impact wrench works best... :smile:KennyV

satman858

Threads
Thank you KennyV! Looks like lawnmowerforum is great forum.

WarOnGrass

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I have the 992065 serial# 000790 Promaster 44z 17hp
Beast of a machine, I swear its part bulldozer / Log splitter.

For the record the Blade bolts are STANDARD THREAD, not reversed. I recommend taking them off
1x per year (end of season) or if you wear them out, more. I put on the heavy duty blades and made the mistake
of leaving them on for a few years! Getting 2 of the blades off became a project. (start buy buying the 2 washers
and the bolt for all 3)

I had to grind off 1/3 the washer (not the bolt) as they are cupped washers and every time you hit something solid it TIGHTENS them on even more.
So... Grind off part of the washer as that is what is
holding it tight, then hit it with the Impact, Mine was still not budging, so I
took off the other 1/3, I learned to keep the bolt head, so the Impact can work it, Either way I replace the bolts too.
once i got the washer cut down, the impact took it right off, but before
I had tried a socket and 5 ft pipe on this bolt and it was NOT MOVING, IMPACT was useless on it, so that is why I grinded off the washer..
(I also tried heat, lock tight soaking and letting the Impact just hit it for many minutes, it was stuck!)

I did put the heavier mulching blades on it again as I do raw land clearing, and you can tell, so make sure you have it TUNED IT UP,
and put new belts on it, as getting those heavy blades moving is noticeable.

Overall, my mower is a champ, I have put it through hell and back and its ready for action. This year
I felt in debt to it, so I am replacing and fixing anything bent or worn. I owe it.

I have mowed 5 acers of raw land, hitting rocks, logs and dirt, mowing over 4 ft grass with baby trees and cactus,
and this beast ate it like a shark, I mowed up 30 degree inclines and down 45 degree hills, its was hard on the machine
after 2 days, but the results are amazing. (so much poison ivy it was crazy!) This mower is seriously heavy duty!!

SO this year I am gave it a budget of $1,000 and what ever it wants! I think its a 1999 but not sure, which I knew how to tell the year!

plus a new on is $4k and up this year!!