Gravely Promaster 260Z Clutch issue

gregword

Forum Newbie
Threads
I started mowing the other day and the mower just kept dying on me for what seemed no reason. Eventually I figured out that if I disengaged the PTO as it was starting to die that the engine would continue to run. Long story short, I spent $350 ish to get a new PTO clutch that mounts on the crank shaft of the engine, removed the old one and installed the new one, plugging it back in and checking connections to ensure all was well. Indeed everything worked for about 30-40 minutes then it started doing the same thing with the new clutch!! WTH?!? Any ideas? Did I install the clutch improperly? is there some kind of theremal cutoff switch that is overheating? or should I be looking at something else?

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks,
Greg

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like your charging system is not keeping up, post your engine's make model spec numbers, so we know what you have.

gregword

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like your charging system is not keeping up, post your engine's make model spec numbers, so we know what you have.

It is a Kohler 25 HP. I will have to get the rest of the details from the mower when I get to the land. I do have to charge the battery every time I use the unit. This was my fathers and unfortunately, he passed away earlier this month so I am taking this on kind of blind. I know the battery needs replacing but what about the rest of the charging system, is there an alternator type of unit on the mower?

Thanks again for your help!

Greg

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes, it is under the flywheel, there should be 2 white wires coming out and going two the voltage regulator. Unplug the wires, and start the engine and run full rpm,
and take an a.c. voltmeter reading across the two wires coming from the alternator, it should read 28 + volts a.c.

gregword

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, it is under the flywheel, there should be 2 white wires coming out and going two the voltage regulator. Unplug the wires, and start the engine and run full rpm,
and take an a.c. voltmeter reading across the two wires coming from the alternator, it should read 28 + volts a.c.

Thanks so much. I will give it a whack and let you know the results! Thanks for your help!

Greg