Gravely HD vs Hustler Fastrak

Dataz722

Threads
Ok, so I had another thread going where I was trying to decide and I still haven't made up my mind yet, but I do have it narrowed down, I think, to two. So I figured I might as well start another thread with this.

I had the Huslter dealer bring out a raptor for me to try on my front yard where we have a decent sized ditch and the rest of the front yard is on a bit of a slope. They wouldn't let me cut with it, but just drive it around. It was able to handle it but you could tell it was straining ever so slightly a couple times. It would work fine but i'm afraid it would trash the EZT trans pretty quickly. Now I was left with the Gravely XL and HD and the Hustler Fastrak. The HD and Fastrak are both the same price and while they are probably overkill for me they would only be about $17 a month more than the XL (I would be doing 0% 48 months financing).

From looking at the spec sheets to me it seems like the HD and Fastrak are very similar with the Gravely taking a slight edge in a few places like gauge of the deck and max cutting height. The Hustler does have a better warranty though.

There are a few things though that I don't know how they compare like the Kawasaki FR vs FS motors. And the Fastrak lists what they use for the frame of the mower but the Gravely does not. Anyone know how they compare there? Also I don't see where either of them list the deck depth. Does anyone know what it is or where I could find that info? I am sure there is other stuff too that I am not thinking of that isn't listed on the sheets.

Also the Gravely's accesories seem to be slightly cheaper for most and considerably cheaper for the bagging kit which I would get. Based on what I am able to see from the specs and prices I think that the Gravely has the slight edge. Only problem is that I don't care for the dealer that I would most likely get it from and do like the one I would get the Hustler from. Is there anything that I am missing about the Hustler that should sway me in that direction?

Thanks again.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok, so I had another thread going where I was trying to decide and I still haven't made up my mind yet, but I do have it narrowed down, I think, to two. So I figured I might as well start another thread with this.

I had the Huslter dealer bring out a raptor for me to try on my front yard where we have a decent sized ditch and the rest of the front yard is on a bit of a slope. They wouldn't let me cut with it, but just drive it around. It was able to handle it but you could tell it was straining ever so slightly a couple times. It would work fine but i'm afraid it would trash the EZT trans pretty quickly. Now I was left with the Gravely XL and HD and the Hustler Fastrak. The HD and Fastrak are both the same price and while they are probably overkill for me they would only be about $17 a month more than the XL (I would be doing 0% 48 months financing).

From looking at the spec sheets to me it seems like the HD and Fastrak are very similar with the Gravely taking a slight edge in a few places like gauge of the deck and max cutting height. The Hustler does have a better warranty though.

There are a few things though that I don't know how they compare like the Kawasaki FR vs FS motors. And the Fastrak lists what they use for the frame of the mower but the Gravely does not. Anyone know how they compare there? Also I don't see where either of them list the deck depth. Does anyone know what it is or where I could find that info? I am sure there is other stuff too that I am not thinking of that isn't listed on the sheets.

Also the Gravely's accesories seem to be slightly cheaper for most and considerably cheaper for the bagging kit which I would get. Based on what I am able to see from the specs and prices I think that the Gravely has the slight edge. Only problem is that I don't care for the dealer that I would most likely get it from and do like the one I would get the Hustler from. Is there anything that I am missing about the Hustler that should sway me in that direction?

Thanks again.
Dataz722,
I don't think you can go wrong with either the Hustler Fastrak or the Gravely ZT HD. For a Kawasaki engine series(FR=Residential, FS=Heavy Duty & FX=Commercial). A link to the Gravely spec sheet is below, but I don't see any specifics without further research of the frame's steel tube size(if that's what you are referring to). So the Hustler warranties are better than the Gravely ZT HD's 3-Year Residential/1-Year Commercial or 1000 hours, 3-Year Spindles and 5-Years Frame & Deck???? Now my Pro-Turn XDZ 100 Commercial has basically the same warranty, except with the upgrade to the X-Factor deck gets a Lifetime Frame & Deck and has a 2-Year Commercial. I think you have no concern about the frame "build" on the Gravelys:0)
Oooppss, forgot the link:
http://www.gravely.com/en-us/SeriesDownloads/SellSheet_ZTHD.pdf

P.S.
The Hustler had an overall dealer rating of 6.26 and the Ariens(Gravely) a 6.10 compared to all manufactures avg overall being 5.43 by the NORTH AMERICAN EQUIPMENT DEALERS ASSOCIATION in their 2013 survey results. Like I said, you can't go wrong with either(and should demo them both before deciding).

Dataz722

Threads
Dataz722,
I don't think you can go wrong with either the Hustler Fastrak or the Gravely ZT HD. For a Kawasaki engine series(FR=Residential, FS=Heavy Duty & FX=Commercial). A link to the Gravely spec sheet is below, but I don't see any specifics without further research of the frame's steel tube size(if that's what you are referring to). So the Hustler warranties are better than the Gravely ZT HD's 3-Year Residential/1-Year Commercial or 1000 hours, 3-Year Spindles and 5-Years Frame & Deck???? Now my Pro-Turn XDZ 100 Commercial has basically the same warranty, except with the upgrade to the X-Factor deck gets a Lifetime Frame & Deck and has a 2-Year Commercial. I think you have no concern about the frame "build" on the Gravelys:0)
Oooppss, forgot the link:
http://www.gravely.com/en-us/SeriesDownloads/SellSheet_ZTHD.pdf

P.S.
The Hustler had an overall dealer rating of 6.26 and the Ariens(Gravely) a 6.10 compared to all manufactures avg overall being 5.43 by the NORTH AMERICAN EQUIPMENT DEALERS ASSOCIATION in their 2013 survey results. Like I said, you can't go wrong with either(and should demo them both before deciding).

Yeah, I have studied and practically memorized both of their spec sheets.

The Gravely HD warranty is (for residential) 3 years and 5 on the deck and shell but the Hustler is actually 4 year/400 hours and limted lifetime on the frame and leading edge.

I did just see that survey that you posted in another thread and am looking over it now. Thanks.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah, I have studied and practically memorized both of their spec sheets.

The Gravely HD warranty is (for residential) 3 years and 5 on the deck and shell but the Hustler is actually 4 year/400 hours and limted lifetime on the frame and leading edge.

I did just see that survey that you posted in another thread and am looking over it now. Thanks.

Well, if it were me I would just "look at the decks" and note the reinforced leading edges and particularly the hanging systems(I LOVE how easy my Pro-Turn is to adjust each individual chain up/down by "very small" increments). Also, I can't remember how much area you will be cutting but if it's a lot you must consider that 400 hours on the Hustler versus 1,000 hours on the Gravely could very well supersede any "Years"(like a car, it's "whichever comes first"). Another user posted recently that he burned up the "hours" warranty on a Cub cadet in a manner of "weeks". With what I mow it'll take me 10-15 years to hit 1,000 hours so I'm pretty certain my warranty will expire in 3 Years:0)
Of course, the Hutstler' limited lifetime on the deck is something worth thowing out there to the Gravely dealer just to see what he says!!

Dataz722

Threads
Well, if it were me I would just "look at the decks" and note the reinforced leading edges and particularly the hanging systems(I LOVE how easy my Pro-Turn is to adjust each individual chain up/down by "very small" increments). Also, I can't remember how much area you will be cutting but if it's a lot you must consider that 400 hours on the Hustler versus 1,000 hours on the Gravely could very well supersede any "Years"(like a car, it's "whichever comes first"). Another user posted recently that he burned up the "hours" warranty on a Cub cadet in a manner of "weeks". With what I mow it'll take me 10-15 years to hit 1,000 hours so I'm pretty certain my warranty will expire in 3 Years:0)
Of course, the Hutstler' limited lifetime on the deck is something worth thowing out there to the Gravely dealer just to see what he says!!

I have about 1 acre and would also be doing my parents but theirs is probably about 1/3 acre so I am sure the years would probably come first.

I didn't look at the hanging system on either of them but to me the reinforcements looks pretty similar in both of them.