Gravely, Cub Cadet or Kubota?

Shenandoah

Forum Newbie
Threads
The wife is interested in getting a ZTR for our place in the country. We have two places 1/4 mile apart. one is 12 acres with slight hills lots of grass and the other is 25 acres bigger hills and mostly wooded.

I already have a 60HP tractor that can handle the bigger jobs.

The three brands listed are the ones that are sold and serviced here locally, and the dealers will do pickup and drop off. I could probably find almost any other brand within 100 miles, but I'd have to do the hauling and I'm not set up for that.

I have no experience with ZTR's or any of the brands listed. My tractor is a Massey.

Which brand would be preferred over the others and why?
Diesel or gas-powered?
Joystick, twin-stick or steering wheel?
Standing or seated?
What to look for, and what to look out for.

Thank you in advance for your advice and guidance.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just exactly how much acreage do you plan on cutting with a zero turn?
Your 60 horse power tractor is well suited for cutting large properties. A good finish mower will do an excellent job on grass. It won’t beat you to death. You will stay cleaner with the rear discharge.

Last edited:

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
The wife is interested in getting a ZTR for our place in the country. We have two places 1/4 mile apart. one is 12 acres with slight hills lots of grass and the other is 25 acres bigger hills and mostly wooded.

I already have a 60HP tractor that can handle the bigger jobs.

The three brands listed are the ones that are sold and serviced here locally, and the dealers will do pickup and drop off. I could probably find almost any other brand within 100 miles, but I'd have to do the hauling and I'm not set up for that.

I have no experience with ZTR's or any of the brands listed. My tractor is a Massey.

Which brand would be preferred over the others and why?
Diesel or gas-powered?
Joystick, twin-stick or steering wheel?
Standing or seated?
What to look for, and what to look out for.

Thank you in advance for your advice and guidance.
Gravely gas zero turn hands down.

Shenandoah

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just exactly how much acreage do you plan on cutting with a zero turn?
Your 60 horse power tractor is well suited for cutting large properties. A good finish mower will do an excellent job on grass. It won’t beat you to death. You will stay cleaner with the rear discharge.
How much acreage? Hard to tell, she could get out there and turn the place into a golf course if she's in a mood. After 47 years I still don't know what might set her off, although it's most likely something I've done.

I already have a Woods Brush Bull BB60.30. The finish mowers I've seen all appear to be similar units albeit designed to cut cleaner. I need something she can go out and use not another tractor attachment. Also, the tractor has a cab, making it hard to get under certain areas.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
How much acreage? Hard to tell, she could get out there and turn the place into a golf course if she's in a mood. After 47 years I still don't know what might set her off, although it's most likely something I've done.

I already have a Woods Brush Bull BB60.30. The finish mowers I've seen all appear to be similar units albeit designed to cut cleaner. I need something she can go out and use not another tractor attachment. Also, the tractor has a cab, making it hard to get under certain areas.
With that in mind, I would recommend a zero turn with a rear discharge deck.
Hustler Super Z 60 Rear Discharge
Bad Boy Rogue 61 Rear Discharge
Scag Cheetah II 61 Rear Discharge
Kubota 60 Rear Discharge. This will probably be the most expensive. It comes with a water cooled Diesel engine.
John Deere only offers a 72” rear discharge zero turn mower. It’s going to be close to the Kubota in price.
If you want a side discharge mower, the Gravely Pro Turn 560 with the Kawasaki FX921V engine is the one to get.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
12 and 25 acres is a bit much for a 0. Unless you like spending your entire weekend cutting grass. Some people do.

DWSarow

Threads
She might not like the pounding the zero turn is going to give her.With that kind of acres you might want to check the Bobcat line up

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
She might not like the pounding the zero turn is going to give her.With that kind of acres you might want to check the Bobcat line up
The pounding on the body is real. I cut three acres weekly and I feel it after I’m done. My home was built on what was once pasture or pecan orchard and it’s bumpy. My mower has a suspension seat.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Back to the original question
Exclude the cub cadet they are all rubbish

As for the second series of comments, a ZTR with suspension is worth the extra money
By the time thee is suspension added you are in the true commercial range and almost any one will be fine
Rear discharge is always preferred