grasshopper with 20 horse kohler backfiring

codysz71

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2001 grasshopper with a 52 inch deck and a 20 horse kohler air cooled motor. When the pto is engaged and the blades are turning sometimes it will backfire and shoot flames out of the exhaust. was wondering what is causing this. Also it burns oil and seems to be lacking in power. I am wondering if the burning of the oil has something to do with the backfire and if so what could possibly be wrong with it. Thanks for the help.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 2001 grasshopper with a 52 inch deck and a 20 horse kohler air cooled motor. When the pto is engaged and the blades are turning sometimes it will backfire and shoot flames out of the exhaust. was wondering what is causing this. Also it burns oil and seems to be lacking in power. I am wondering if the burning of the oil has something to do with the backfire and if so what could possibly be wrong with it. Thanks for the help.[/QUOT

Cody, tell us more...is there white smoke all the time? Or at all? How much oil is lost per hour usage? Is the engine hydraulic lifter or manual valve adjust. If latter , when were valves adjusted? There are many experienced with Kohler on the forum who will answer you, I think.

codysz71

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is no white smoke just a blue haze all the time sometimes heavier than others. Not sure when the valves were adjusted since I just bought the mower. It has about 1300 hours on it.

lostinbaja

Threads
If your Grasshopper has an electric PTO the switch is located on the vertical panel under the front of the seat...The seat folds forward and has an engine cut off switch on it....the switch may be turning the engine off for a split second when you lean forward to turn the PTO on.
Just a thought....

taxidermist

Threads
There is no white smoke just a blue haze all the time sometimes heavier than others. Not sure when the valves were adjusted since I just bought the mower. It has about 1300 hours on it.

Sounds like a blown head gasket. You need to do a leakdown test.

Rob