Grasshopper snowthrower reveiws?

beddy85

Threads
Hey guys,
I'm currently on the process of trading in my front mount jd 1420 for a 725d. I'm looking for any feedback from you guys that run a snowthrower on the grasshoppers. I live in south-central mn so we can get some pretty good snow amounts from time to time. There just arent many grasshoppers around here for me to get real-world reviews on, so any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Rickw

Threads
I have had a 512 (5') on a 723 and a 727 for several years and it handled it well. I have cleared 2'-3' drifts and 2' deep stuff the plow truck threw in to the drive. Deep stuff I just slow down to let it keep up. The only time it plugs up is if the snow is real wet and slushy, basically I did not even need to blow it I just wanted to :) I currently have a 727 w/ a 412 on it (4'). Has not real snowed yet but it should do just fine. I have always run the bar tread tires with no chains. I get plenty of traction. Chains would tear up a black top drive I would think, With the 512 I probably could have used a little more weight in rear. The 412 is fine

beddy85

Threads
I have had a 512 (5') on a 723 and a 727 for several years and it handled it well. I have cleared 2'-3' drifts and 2' deep stuff the plow truck threw in to the drive. Deep stuff I just slow down to let it keep up. The only time it plugs up is if the snow is real wet and slushy, basically I did not even need to blow it I just wanted to :) I currently have a 727 w/ a 412 on it (4'). Has not real snowed yet but it should do just fine. I have always run the bar tread tires with no chains. I get plenty of traction. Chains would tear up a black top drive I would think, With the 512 I probably could have used a little more weight in rear. The 412 is fine
Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm just a little skeptical about the snowthrower since I have been around two-stage blowers my whole life. I just really like the thought of a snowblower and then eventually a broom on the grasshopper. All the dealers around me that do not sell grasshopper want to bash and thrash them....but as I said nobody around here really has a setup like that.

Rickw

Threads
I was skeptical also since I had a 2 stage prior. The single stage Grasshopper did not disappoint. Its a beast! Watch Facebook marketplace and Craigs list ect. and you should be able to find one in really good shape for $1000 or so. I bought a 412 for $1000 that did not even have paint wear. You should be able to find a 512 if you are patient. When you get into heavy stuff you just have to slow down, But it is so little effort who cares, Beats walking behind one which I did for years.

Rickw

Threads
Here is a 412 (4 footer) that could probably be had for $1000

beddy85

Threads
Here is a 412 (4 footer) that could probably be had for $1000
I was actually eyeing this up last week. Can you tell me how far I can expect it to throw the snow? I'm talking if you get a nice layer of 5" fluffy stuff.
Thanks

Rickw

Threads
I would say probably 15' to 25'. Google it and watch the Grasshopper videos of them in action. They are accurate.

tony88

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 729bt with a 5" thrower, and I love it. Plenty of power and blows it a long way. I have tractor tread tires, and dont like them, but have never had the other style. The tractor tread tears up lawn on corners, and does not have enough traction. I have a gravel drive, so I dont run the head fully down until we get some snow pack. I am told with turf tires you can run chains on them for added traction. I dont have a cab but live in the country. Most of the time I can blow and let the wind help but I do get some dust back in my face. I love the mower too. Mine is a 2013 with no problems.