Grasshopper Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

4getgto

Threads
Hi fellas, new to the forum from Troy, MO. Just got my first Grasshopper, a 720K.
I have one similar to yours with different colored paint on..

IMG_20170804_164619.jpg

Threads
GREETINGS to all Grasshopper mower owners! ?

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name ?). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Grasshopper owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for Grasshopper mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Grasshopper stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.
New (old guy) owner of an older 616. Currently trying to solve a no-start issue.

swschult

Threads
I am new to this forum, and this is my first post.

My name is Steve, and I live about 25 miles from Madison, Wisconsin. From my late father I inherited a Grasshopper, liquid-cooled, 52-inch, front-mount model 725A with Kohler engine. It is a 2004 model, and it has 1560 hours on it. It has been serviced by the dealer every year. If it is possible, I want to install a ROPS and new seat on it and then keep it forever. Does that seem wise, or is this mower simply too old to sink money into. What would it be worth on trade?

Last edited:

4getgto

Threads
I am new to this forum, and this is my first post.

My name is Steve, and I live about 25 miles from Madison, Wisconsin. From my late father I inherited a Grasshopper, liquid-cooled, 52-inch, front-mount model 725A with Kohler engine. I think it is a 2004 model, and it has 1560 hours on it. It has been serviced by the dealer every year. If it is possible, I want to install a ROPS and new seat on it and then keep it forever. Does that seem wise, or is this mower simply too old to sink money into. What would it be worth on trade?
Hey Steve. No value on trade in (imo). Best just to keep it and run it till it can't run no more.
I added a new suspension seat (picture above) 4/5 years ago and definitely a wise investment (according to my back).
You say you have a liquid cooled Kohler.? Honestly didnt know Kohler made a water cooled motor of that time frame.

swschult

Threads
Hey Steve. No value on trade in (imo). Best just to keep it and run it till it can't run no more.
I added a new suspension seat (picture above) 4/5 years ago and definitely a wise investment (according to my back).
You say you have a liquid cooled Kohler.? Honestly didnt know Kohler made a water cooled motor of that time frame.

According to this post on lawnsite.com, the water-cooled Kohler was only offered for one year.

LawnSite Fanatic

LocationTexas
They only made that machine for one year, but it is a great mower. Kohler could not meet the demand for that liquid-cooled engine, and Grasshopper finally had to just quit offering that engine option.

Last edited:

randallvoss

Forum Newbie
Threads
GREETINGS to all Grasshopper mower owners! ?

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name ?). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Grasshopper owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for Grasshopper mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Grasshopper stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.
526V52

swschult

Threads
I put a ROPS on it, and a seat belt, but ultimately couldn’t cough up $1200 for a suspension seat. I’m going to keep it until it dies, and in the meantime I feel a lot better when I’m mowing on inclines.

TAS_TODD

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just joined.
08 (I think) 729G2, 52" power fold deck, 3cyc Kubota gas.

It's been a great mower, now I just need to keep it that way.

S1C EM

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all! New here and looking for advice on a possible GRasshopper purchase. I just sold my three-year-old Bad Boy MZ Magnum and looking to upgrade to something a bit bigger with an easier-to-access deck area. I'm about sold on a Grasshopper front-mount. Does anyone have recommendations on a particular model? I don't need a full-fledged commercial mower. I've just got about two acres of thick field/pasture grass in my backyard and Bermuda in the front. That said, the pasture grass was enough to choke out the Bad Boy's 726cc 22hp Kawasaki at times. I'm looking at the 526v-52 and up at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any input!

ksvondrak

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, new here. A few months ago purchased my first Grasshopper, a 2004 618. Had a small oil leak on the rear seal and then when I went to fix that and I had it sitting for a couple of weeks, I noticed oil in the front. Ended up pulling the motor and the front seal was spinning in the engine housing. Replaced both seals and found he hydraulic line had a loose clamp at the bottom of the reservoir. Tightened that up and everything is dry now. Just purchased a used 412 snow thrower for it and now looking into a snow cab. I have been told they didn't make a snow cab for that model, so I am hoping to be able to rig something up somehow.