Grasshopper 928d engine issue

Lawnenforcer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was recently given a grasshopper 928d that had not been used for about a year and was left outside. I put in a battery to see if it would start and I can hear everything wanting to start but the engine itself wont turn. It seems stuck but I dont know how to fix this. If any one knows please let me know I'm open for anything

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take the spark plugs out and try again.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think the 928D is a diesel. If possible, try to turn the engine over by hand, very slowly. Don't force it. If it can't be turned over it may be hydro locked with rain water from being outside. Remove the injectors and again turn it over by hand. If it won't revolve by hand with the injectors removed, the piston rings may be rusted to the cylinder walls. The engine will have to be torn down to repair.

If it will rotate by hand, try to spin it with the starter. If it spins easily with the injectors out, change the oil and reinstall the injectors, bleed them, start the engine run it for 15 minutes or until it reaches operating temperature and change the oil again.

Don't leave it outside.

edit: I've never tried this but wonder if it would be possible to adjust the exhaust valves so tight that they are held off their seats by .050" or so and SLOWLY rotate the engine by hand to allow any liquid that may be in the cylinders to escape through the exhaust valves and into the exhaust system. If it works, that would make removing the injectors unnecessary. Once the liquid is gone, adjust the exhaust valves and start the engine.

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The 928D has a Kubota diesel. Very good engine. As said before, if it has been setting oitside for a year best ro check a few thing before trying to start it. Change the oil and filter even if it looks new. Remove the injectors and squirt about a tablespoon of oil into each cylinder. Don't over do it. It will either have a mechanical or electric fuel lift pump. Disconnect the fuel line to the lift pump and drain all the fuel from the tank. Remove the fuel fitting to the injector pump and blow out the fuel. Diesel fuel can go bad and you don't want to try and clean a bunch of it out of the pumps and lines. There are usually 2 fuel filters on the kubota diesels. Change them both. Put fresh fuel in it. Connect up the lines but leave the injectors out. The biggest problem with leaving and engine outside for a long time is a cylinder with a valve open. Left open in the atmosphere cylinder and valves may rust. You need to bar the engine over manually for a few revolutions to free things up. If it is stuck it probably has a rusty cylinder. Work it back and forth till it breaks free. Once it does bar the engine over for at least half a dozen revolutions. If you have an electric lift pump turn on key to activate it and crack inlet fitti g at injector pump till air is bled out. If mechanical lift pump will need to crank engine to pump fuel to bleed air to injector pump. Install the injectors and try to start it. May take a bit so don't crank more than abot 10 sec at a time and don't cook the starter. May have to bleed the injectors by cracking the fitting on top the injector while cranking the engine. Don't mess with the valves or the injector pump. If it ran when parked they are fine.