Grasshopper 620T Mowing Problems

mustangary

Forum Newbie
Threads
Been having mowing quality problems with this 620T ever since it was purchased, ... back in April, 2010. Never has cut as nicely as the 1997 model 616 it was meant to replace.

Anyone having cutting issues with a 620T of this vintage? Am starting to wonder if it is the deck design...
It seems to not cut well in the middle of the deck.. .and just "misses" grass.

Blades are sharp... everything is level... have never hit anything with the blades, etc.

Anyone else having cutting quality issues with the 620T?

Thanks.

hawkguy1997

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hard to understand why it would be doing this. I would have said just give the blades a good sharpening...but you mention that, as well as leveling the deck. Not sure what other variables it could be. Have you tried calling the factory service dept?

HarryHarley

Threads
Can you remove the belt guard and verify that the center pulley is spinning as fast as the outer two?
Is it turning in the right direction? Is the belt slipping? Blade on right and tight? Seems odd only the middle blade is cutting poorly. Hope you find the problem.

173abn

Threads
bubba827 was having a similar problem w/his 227.Might want to read his thread...russ

HarryHarley

Threads
Well, here is the final answer that bubba gave to solve his problem as per the suggestion of 173abn above:

Re: not a clean cut in the middle?
ok i did 2 things .......sorry about not getting back sooner but i went back to the regular blades and replaced the center pulleys and i will be dammmed if she went back to cutting grass and making the yards look like carpet.......Thanks again for all the input....happy cutting

mustangary

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, here is the final answer that bubba gave to solve his problem as per the suggestion of 173abn above:

Re: not a clean cut in the middle?
ok i did 2 things .......sorry about not getting back sooner but i went back to the regular blades and replaced the center pulleys and i will be dammmed if she went back to cutting grass and making the yards look like carpet.......Thanks again for all the input....happy cutting

hmm... well, maybe have to go back to regular blades. Have the high lift blades on it right now.

The Grasshopper Rep came out and took a look at it, mowed some grass, etc. Did "tilt" the deck (adjusted it) a bit to the front (so don't cut the grass twice, like he said it). Also, RPM was a bit too low... set RPM at recommended level.

Appreciate your sharing experiences on this...

It does seem to cut a bit better... but, still liked the cut of the old 616 better! Working on it...

Mwh0428

Threads
My dad has a 2000 720k and if you go fast while cutting it leaves one strip it has always left the strip. But we buy new blades every 2 or 3 years and sharpen blades 1 or 2 times a year.

Sent from my iPod touch using LMF