Grasshopper 227 skipping like crazy

grasshopper227

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a 2007 grasshopper 227 midmount mower new and it has performed flawless until just recently. I have some mechanical experience so I do where the motor is located and all...lol but I am a little confused about my problem. I can get on the mower to cut my 4.5 acres of grass and sometimes it fires up and runs just great for an hour or 2 and I can cut it off for a few minutes and get back on it and it will be skipping so bad it will hardly move froward and I can smell gas like it is flooding..it may run like that for 5 minutes or 30 minutes and clear right up and throw me back in the seat as it returns to full power. i also can start it up for the 1st time and it will crank up skipping and once again it may run like that for 1 minute and clear right up or it could run like that for 30 minutes. sorry for such a long post but trying to provide as much info as i can. i have gotten the tank empty and attempted to blow any possible trash out with an air hose, also i have replaced the fuel pump, spark plugs, air filters. i am not sure if this could be a trash issue with the carb, or a fire issue. the spark plugs are dry when i take them out as actually today it started up running like crap and after 20 minutes it was still running ragged, so I checked the plugs and they were dry and I actually put 1 of the old plugs in 1 side and started it up and it started and ran perfect for a hour until i stopped for the day. Not saying it had anything to do with it but any advice I could get on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

grasshopper227

Forum Newbie
Threads
Any ideas guys.....dam grass is growing like cRaZy

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remove the kill wires from the coils.
Check that the fuel solenoid will shut off the engine then replace the blower housing ( Access covers ) then go mow
If the problem goes away then the wiring is at fault
Second test is to get some sort of alternative fuel tank and when the engine starts to play up stop and plug in the alternative tank
Problem goes away = debris in your tank or fuel lines
If you hopper has duel tanks that includes the tap .
Skipping is a funny term
Do the revs rise & fall or does the engine just not fire ?
Also helps if we know the make & model number of the engine that you wrote in your owners manual after reading it cover to cover before jumping on the mower 👿

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Grasshopper a little patience on your part will go a long way in solving your problem. Your thread hasn’t been up for 24 hours and you’re getting impatient because no one has answered. You must realize the the experienced techs on this site, work full time and take Sunday's off to be with family. Our customers grass is also growing and our families are always waiting for us to stop working.. Second if you are mechanically inclined you must know that we need to know the brand name and all engine numbers to start making guesses as to the problem. Without them all I can tell you to do the next time it acts up is to try to identify if it is an ignition or fuel problem.

grasshopper227

Forum Newbie
Threads
Grasshopper a little patience on your part will go a long way in solving your problem. Your thread hasn’t been up for 24 hours and you’re getting impatient because no one has answered. You must realize the the experienced techs on this site, work full time and take Sunday's off to be with family. Our customers grass is also growing and our families are always waiting for us to stop working.. Second if you are mechanically inclined you must know that we need to know the brand name and all engine numbers to start making guesses as to the problem. Without them all I can tell you to do the next time it acts up is to try to identify if it is an ignition or fuel problem.
10-4 i understand and agree.....its just that i dont like my shit all jacked up lol....i got on my mower yesterday and of course it started like it was on crack and tried to cut the back yard and after 30 minutes still running terrible so i removed the spark plug on the left side and of course it was not even hot to the touch. i had changed them out about 3 weeks ago to try to eliminate this problem...So I replaced the bad spark plg ,,/ug with the old plu

grasshopper227

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok an update on mower here guys...... i started it up this afternoon and of course it was skipping really bad so I pulled the spark plug wire off with the motor still running and it made no difference in the sound of the motor..... so what this told me was the left side of the motor was not firing and even the spark plug itself was not even hot after running the motor for 15 to 20 minutes. my question here I guess is how difficult is the cover and gas tank to remove so I can see the spark plug wires and coil.....

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you would post engine numbers, as I requested, we might have some idea as to what you have in front you.

grasshopper227

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you would post engine numbers, as I requested, we might have some idea as to what you have in front you.
ok so it is a firing issue and i will have to replace the coil and spark plug wire....i actually pulled the wire off of the spark plug while it was skipping like crazy and i saw no change, so i had to order a new set of coils and spark plug wires as i was informed today that it comes as a set and you can not just order 1 but you have to order both of them.....hopefully it works......lol

grasshopper227

Forum Newbie
Threads
anyone that could assist me with removing the cover off of the Koler 27 hp motor....there must be a bolt at the bottom but no way in hell I can get to it.....any ideas would be great..