grasshopper 220 and RH hydro is weak????

tph

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought this 120 from a guy cheap (knowing it had problems), first it wont start with the key(have to jump the starter) I think I got that down to it being the relay. the main prob is the rh hydro will work about 75% when its cold, but about 6 rounds of mowing and its down to like 15% working.. I have put a new belt on and didn't seem to change, also the belt and pulleys on the hydros really vibrate and chatter while its running?? I am new to this zero turn hydro stuff so any suggestion would be great! thanks

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to these Forums...

With "the belt and pulleys on the hydro's really vibrate and chatter while its running" like you say, I would look close at the pulleys.. You May have either a bent pulley Or some trash (like a chunk of belt) jammed in the bottom of the pulley.
When 'if ever' has the hydraulic oil been changed?
:smile:KennyV

tph

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't know if the fluid has ever been changed? would that affect just one hydro? im thinking it might have something to do with the pulleys because they just look like they shouldn't be jumping around like they do??? maybe a combo of a couple things??

tph

Forum Newbie
Threads
i tore into the grasshopper, left hydro pulley (sheave) is wore and not tight on the hydro shaft(ordering a new sheave) took the right pump out and having a mechanic buddy tear it apart and look at it, does anybody know where to get a kit for the parker pump? also what do u recommend for the hydro fluid and filter..im not real keen on paying for grasshopper brand stuff.
thanks

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can run Mobil1, Amsoil, or any good SYNTHETIC motor oil in the 15w50 or 20w50 range.
There use to be room for a lot of unneeded discussion as to why a particular manufacturer recommended their own 'rebranded' lubricants. The hydraulic pumps & motors used by all the mower manufacturers are Not made by the company assembling the mowers... those pumps & motors are used in Many other brands. Go by the Pump manufacturer recommendations... And USE synthetic regardless what someone may have told you about synthetic oils. The majority of what most folks say about synthetics is anywhere from completely wrong to half right...
There is a chance that you 'may not' find a filter to fit the particular thread pitch, micron filtration & flow rate used on that machine... But the oil should be easy to find...
As too the 1000 hr change... none of the better synthetics will be worn out in 1000 hrs when used in a hydraulic system... a larger factor is amount of airborne contamination that gets into the system through the temp cycling of the hydro system... :smile:KennyV

tph

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for the info!.. any one know where to get a repair kit for the hydro pump?