Got a plow, need chains and weight suggestions now

kyle3194

Forum Newbie
Threads
Im a highschooler, so im trying to do this pretty cheaply, I had a plow given to me, so i fab'd my own bracket to mount it to our Craftsman mower. So now (after much time) I have a plow on the front of the mower!!! :) Now im to the point where i need to get some chains (know i cant really make my own) and find a way to get some weight on it... I really dont wanna buy the wheel weights, or buy any for that matter... I was just wondering what you all have used for weights... Ive got a spare barbell and some free weights i could use... Oh and the thing is it needs to be a lot of weight cause the plow i have is pretty darn heavy and it sticks out front quite a ways.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Kyle

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
Probably can't find metal gallon oil cans anymore, but a long time ago the John Deere dealer made weights for my Grandmother's 110 out of a couple. Cut a hole in the side, fill it with concrete mix and embed a large staple or eye bolt in the wet concrete. Weighs north of 50 pounds, hang a couple off the back with a short piece of chain.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I made my own tire chains from a pair of old car chains. Been using them for about 18 years now.

fastback

Threads
Old car chains work well if you can find a set. They also made special pliers for opening a closing the liknks. Makes life a whole lot easier. As for weights, I have made my own using plywood and sheet metal as a form and cut some tubing or pipe for the mounting holes. Use use 1/2 inch threaded rod couplings with carage bolt cut to fit and of coarse 1/2 threaded rod. The hardware can be gotton at a building supplier. Couplings are about 2 dollars each, you need 4. You won't need much more than 24 inches of threaded rod. A couple bags of premixed concrete (around $4.20 for an 80 lb bag) and your done. Chains are made for the tractor are in the $59.00 range depending on the size tire.

Dave Sherburne

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just put a can in the garbage today Guess I better go get it. On my 16 inch Power King tires I use truck chains I get at auctions. I rearrange the cross chains so they are closer together.

valkyrie1

Threads
HI
go to auction for tire chain. I used old scrap iron it will add up in a hury for you and load your hine
tire with fluied it work good winsheld fluid is in my hind tire's :smile:

cablesnmoore

Threads
i made a mount for a cinder block that mounts where the bagger mounts i filled the block with concrete and put a chain in it to make it easier to remove it hers a couple pics theirs 1 bolt that goes where the hitch mounts i made the bottom mount long so i could pull my yard trailer so i could hull the snowblower and salt

metz12

Threads
i made a mount for a cinder block that mounts where the bagger mounts i filled the block with concrete and put a chain in it to make it easier to remove it hers a couple pics theirs 1 bolt that goes where the hitch mounts i made the bottom mount long so i could pull my yard trailer so i could hull the snowblower and salt

thats baisically what i did. I made a box, attached it to angle iron and bolted that onto the mower. im just looking into rigging my plow on my mower!

noma

Threads
Hi All yes car tire chain work well you have to remodel them to fit your size tire and change the cross members closer togeather and they work very well i made a set many years ago and still use them on my snapper walk behind snow blower witch i purchased new in 1983 and that till is going strong use it every winter. Your looks good and looks like it should work good for you to, i like it. :licking: