GOODBYE TO ELECTRIC

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Before determining if you like a battery powered on anything , ask if the batteries are pro-rated

aussielawny

Threads
While all my gear is ICE, there are rules to using lithium batteries for long life, the main one being not to run them right down continuously......been a lawn contractor for over 30 yrs, if l was starting over l'd be looking at all battery gear, KRESS perhaps?

DinosaurMike

Threads
I bought Ridgid battery operated tools because the batteries and tools have a lifetime warranty. I had a hassle with a local service shop replacing batteries on my first Ridgid cordless drill. It had my kit for four weeks when I finally called customer service and a very sympathetic employee sent me two new batteries and registered them for the warranty. I see that Home Depot has a whole new system for warranty claims that do not include having to go through a local shop.
I have a portable generator so I bought mostly 120 volt outdoor tools. I have purchased a couple of outdoor battery operated tools with the thought that they are probably throwaways. I'll have to get in touch with PGB1 for advice if the batteries fail. I use the batteries, charge them, then put them on the rack until next use.
I found it amazing about how many and how thick of branches that a Ridgid battery recip saw could cut. I bought special blades and it went through 6" and even thicker branches with ease. And a lot of them on a single charge. I wore out before the battery did.

TobyU

Threads
The prices of batteries are going absolutely the wrong way of what the market should be doing but that must just be greed.

Instead of getting a replacement battery for a walk behind mower for 50 to 80 bucks they are now at least $150 if not 250.
I don't ever want to have any of the battery powered outdoor power equipment because it's simply too much of a sacrifice - at least up to now and currently.
Maybe one of these days they will have them with the power and duration of operation so it won't be a sacrifice but then the battery will be $300 and only last two to three years because they want you to amortize the amount over the number of years to justify the price.
I DON'T THINK SO!
I have tons of equipment that I haven't put a single penny into since the day I bought the item and have had many of these things for 20 plus years.
I'm literally not kidding.
Most of the things have had some oil changes here or there but very infrequently but some of them literally have never had any oil purchased by me to put into them but just topped off by whatever oil I happen to inherent as partially open bottles etc.
I guess to be technical you would have to count the gas to power them but not really because if you're going to do that you have to also count the money for the electricity you pay for to charge the batteries.

There is no doubt about it- gasoline powered wins big time!
I know that many governments and the powers that be don't want it to be this way and the big fans of battery powered stuff also don't want it to be this way but this is simply the fact.

The only thing that battery powered winds is convenience if you only need them for a short duration of time.
It is far more convenient to grab your small handheld battery pack that may also fit your rechargeable drill from the charger or from laying on the counter and slap it onto your blower and pull the trigger to go blow the cobwebs off of your front porch or blow the grass off your sidewalk.
As long as you don't need a lot of power and you don't need it for over 12 to 15 minutes it will be wonderful.
If you need a really strong blow or you need to use it for a large part of the day, the battery stuff will quickly become VERY INCONVENIENT.

I choose to skip this problem and just stay with the stuff that I know gets the job done easily.

Jimmy the Lock

Threads
I have owned a Ryobi battery-operated Riding lawn mower since 2017. I paid $2400 new. In 2022, I replaced the batteries from 50 to 100 for $1200. I replaced the batteries myself. Two years later, my batteries are not holding a full charge again.
My next purchase will be a gas engine. The maintenance may be a pain, but it will last longer.

I own an EGO battery push mower, too. Replacing the battery costs $300, which I have done twice. It is like buying a new mower. My next push mower will be gas.
I can't wait to be forced to have an electric car.

I have some commercial grade Ingersol Rand impact guns and batteries for those are expensive

But, I was able to find a 3rd party battery being sold online for a fraction of what the OE batteries cost and they come with a 5 year warranty that replaces the batteries of they fail within 5 years. They are working great!

Another thing to consider is some of these hand held batteries that plug in can be disassembled so the battery itself can be replaced and the same case / electronics are retained.