Glowing muffler

Mitchmiester

Forum Newbie
Threads
B&S 42E707-2631-E1
I have been fixing this mower for several years... it was free so no complaints... still have spent less than a new one.
I purchased a new carb to put on the mower and have it installed. But, now my muffler is glowing red.

The ONLY differences between the two carbs is
Old one has 3 bolt fuel pump and new one has 4
Old one had a mixture screw under carb and new one does not (though there is a plug)
Old one has the line from crankcase to fuel pump on the fuel pump and new one has it on the carb body

I am suspecting that the carb is to lean as the old one didn't have this issue. How do I make the mixture richer?
I am thinking of pulling that plug and see if there is a mixture screw inside. But want to check with more knowledgeable people first.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds as if this new carb doesn't work proper.

I would boil the old OEM carb and reinstall.

Mitchmiester

Forum Newbie
Threads
I runs like a new engine with more power.
Would like to keep that part. But guess I will be ordering a new rebuild kit then.
Don't want to burn out my exhaust valves.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I runs like a new engine with more power.
Would like to keep that part. But guess I will be ordering a new rebuild kit then.
Don't want to burn out my exhaust valves.
Leaner is meaner as the old saying goes. Lots of carbs have high altitude main jet options. Those HA jets are slightly smaller than the standard main jet. I run those when available as all the plugs are black/over rich looking anyway. Easier on fuel, plug runs cleaner and has more power.

boatmoter

Threads
B&S 42E707-2631-E1
I have been fixing this mower for several years... it was free so no complaints... still have spent less than a new one.
I purchased a new carb to put on the mower and have it installed. But, now my muffler is glowing red.

The ONLY differences between the two carbs is
Old one has 3 bolt fuel pump and new one has 4
Old one had a mixture screw under carb and new one does not (though there is a plug)
Old one has the line from crankcase to fuel pump on the fuel pump and new one has it on the carb body

I am suspecting that the carb is to lean as the old one didn't have this issue. How do I make the mixture richer?
I am thinking of pulling that plug and see if there is a mixture screw inside. But want to check with more knowledgeable people first.
sounds like you have a really lean condition, you need more fuel to go inside the engine,carb has to be able to be adjusted for that, if there is no mixture screw,you may have a defective carb