Giving my thoughts on HR214 & HR215/masters series

bwdbrn1

Threads
  • / Giving my thoughts on HR214 & HR215/masters series
One of the problems I may have in rebuilding this mower is the serial number is not readable. I do really like this mower. Not overpowered and light. Great for a relatively small yard. About 2000 sf.

I've been very lucky with a few of the GXV120 engines in just honing the cylinder and using new standard sized rings to take care of the smoking issues.

If you are referring to the serial number on the deck, it isn't really necessary for obtaining parts in most cases. The model designation, HR214PX, HR214SX or HR214SM, is the thing to consider when looking for parts.

I have found these places to be good sources of information in finding the correct parts for the HR214s, and other Honda mowers I've worked on.

All Years Honda Lawnmower Parts

Plano Power Equipment Online Store - Common Parts for Honda Lawnmowers by Model Number

Honda Lawn Mower Parts | Honda Generator Parts | Honda Snow Blower Parts

hondaguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
where would I find a mulching kit (really just want the plug) for a hr215sxa. I tried calling online and a local dealer and honda won't support this model anymore (go figure it is really old) but built really well.

Also looking for the a great place to buy a new carb, they go for 41 on ebay with ship (aftermarket not OEM) anyone used aftermarket? experiences

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

bwdbrn1

Threads
where would I find a mulching kit (really just want the plug) for a hr215sxa. I tried calling online and a local dealer and honda won't support this model anymore (go figure it is really old) but built really well.

Also looking for the a great place to buy a new carb, they go for 41 on ebay with ship (aftermarket not OEM) anyone used aftermarket? experiences

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

So far as the mulch plugs go, ebay seems to be the place to watch. They've been going for big bucks lately though. New one recently sold for $100! For that kind of money, I wish I had a warehouse full of them.

jb44

Forum Newbie
Threads
"HR215 Highs basically same mower just more refined, more hp, better bbc handlebar, hydro transmission, newer style bag with door that opens."

A wonderful machine. I tentatively gave my HR 215 to my daughter as a house-warming present. It still works perfectly, starting on the first or second pull, and never requiring any service except oil and spark plug changes, air filter cleaning and blade sharpening. Uses regular gasoline fine, with whatever ethanol is normally in it. I have done massive research for an equivalent replacement and thought that I would share some comments.

The HRX 217 HYA is just not comparable quality and some reviews show it. The commercial HRC 216 HXA is much more like it but has a steel deck and not cast aluminum alloy, which I love. The new commercial one is also 15-20 pounds heavier. In my opinion, the Toro commercial 22298 might be the best match to my HR 215, or a little better, but also heavier. In any case, both the Honda and Toro commercial models would set one back a lot of $$$ .... so I finally decided to keep the one I have and consider giving my daughter a new EGO LM 2101 for her small property, to go with the EGO blower she just bought herself.

Last edited:

john1234

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a general question for those who have a HR SX 214. I would like to change the wheels to a large diameter set of wheels, from 8" to 9", my 1986 wheels are passed their prime.

Does anyone have any experience in changing to a large wheel size .. it appears that the HRC 216, have the same slot gear fittings on the rear drive wheels as does my HR SX 214.

I want to raise the cutting height on the mower. Just last year, I added a mulching second blade to my HR 214, even though all the honda dealers reps, I contacted said it couldn't be done. I found a blog, where someone had completed this task and he sent me the info on the second blade, works great. But I want a higher lawn to take the heat during the summer months.
Thanks, John

Tooton

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a general question for those who have a HR SX 214. I would like to change the wheels to a large diameter set of wheels, from 8" to 9", my 1986 wheels are passed their prime.

Does anyone have any experience in changing to a large wheel size .. it appears that the HRC 216, have the same slot gear fittings on the rear drive wheels as does my HR SX 214.

I want to raise the cutting height on the mower. Just last year, I added a mulching second blade to my HR 214, even though all the honda dealers reps, I contacted said it couldn't be done. I found a blog, where someone had completed this task and he sent me the info on the second blade, works great. But I want a higher lawn to take the heat during the summer months.
Thanks, John
I would also like to add a mulching blade to my hra 214. Could you be kind enough to send me the link to the correct blade info