General Transmission RS800 won't shift forward

denver_RS800

Forum Newbie
Threads
Poulan Pro PP19A42 transmission RS800 belt broke the transfer power from the rear pulley to the forward pulley, under strain of pulling an aerator trailer.

I replaced the belt and cleaned up a large amount of grass clippings that had fallen into this RS800 transmission.
After the belt replacement, the mower can sit in neutral and can be shifted into reverse by the foot pedal.
Driving around in reverse appears to work very well and neutral sits in place.

However, the petal to shift into forward motion can't move the variation control rod forward.

Forward/Reverse pedal moves variation control linkage (control cam?) on top of the RS800 General Transmission, guided by a lop-sided U shape (rotating cam?) plastic guide.
Bottom of the U is neutral, port side is reverse and much shorted than Forward track.
This variation control guide appears to not be able to rotate the cam to let the Forward engagement???

There is a white plastic latch of some sort - should this or the plastic U guide move up to let the forward direction travel up that U-ish guide?
Initially thought grass clipping had clogged the movement, but cleaned and and re-installed with no change in movement...

Is there any video or documentation that shows the overall safeguards and the process of moving from neutral to forward?

The troubleshooting guides discuss trouble with neutral and going in reverse, but have not working out this case of trouble moving the control pin rod into the forward direction.
Is this an issue with the rotating cam, or something broken that would be fixed with a new control kit?

Any ideas on what to look for to troubleshoot the cause?

Which repair kit would repair this? What does the bypass kit do?

Thank you
Max

Last edited:

denver_RS800

Forum Newbie
Threads
Those google search key words did find this video, showing the correct motion of the CAM to let the mower move forward.

The inversion rod linkage and possibly the stopping plate will be inspected for causes of the lack of full movement.

Thank you and stay tuned! Max

denver_RS800

Forum Newbie
Threads
Those google search key words did find this video, showing the correct motion of the CAM to let the mower move forward.

The inversion rod linkage and possibly the stopping plate will be inspected for causes of the lack of full movement.

Thank you and stay tuned! Max
While taking the RS800 apart, I found an issue! The plastic holding the ball bearings had deformed/melted? under stress and the balls are stuck at the outer ring, so that was preventing the transmission from shifting forward...

Have ordered a new kit (GT79186 Inversion Security System RS800 General Transmission) to replace the damaged section and will see is that the only issue...

Thanks Max

Sdmcarlson

Threads
While taking the RS800 apart, I found an issue! The plastic holding the ball bearings had deformed/melted? under stress and the balls are stuck at the outer ring, so that was preventing the transmission from shifting forward...

Have ordered a new kit (GT79186 Inversion Security System RS800 General Transmission) to replace the damaged section and will see is that the only issue...

Thanks Max
Denver

Did that seem to be the issue?? Did the new inversion Security System take care of the problem?? Thank you.

Scott

Sdmcarlson

Threads
Poulan Pro PP19A42 transmission RS800 belt broke the transfer power from the rear pulley to the forward pulley, under strain of pulling an aerator trailer.

I replaced the belt and cleaned up a large amount of grass clippings that had fallen into this RS800 transmission.
After the belt replacement, the mower can sit in neutral and can be shifted into reverse by the foot pedal.
Driving around in reverse appears to work very well and neutral sits in place.

However, the petal to shift into forward motion can't move the variation control rod forward.

Forward/Reverse pedal moves variation control linkage (control cam?) on top of the RS800 General Transmission, guided by a lop-sided U shape (rotating cam?) plastic guide.
Bottom of the U is neutral, port side is reverse and much shorted than Forward track.
This variation control guide appears to not be able to rotate the cam to let the Forward engagement???

There is a white plastic latch of some sort - should this or the plastic U guide move up to let the forward direction travel up that U-ish guide?
Initially thought grass clipping had clogged the movement, but cleaned and and re-installed with no change in movement...

Is there any video or documentation that shows the overall safeguards and the process of moving from neutral to forward?

The troubleshooting guides discuss trouble with neutral and going in reverse, but have not working out this case of trouble moving the control pin rod into the forward direction.
Is this an issue with the rotating cam, or something broken that would be fixed with a new control kit?

Any ideas on what to look for to troubleshoot the cause?

Which repair kit would repair this? What does the bypass kit do?

Thank you
Max
Max, did you find your solution?? I'm having the same issues.

Thanks

Scott

denver_RS800

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, this kit repaired/rebuilt that part of the transmission. I've had a good summer of mowing since the repair. (GT79186 Inversion Security System RS800 General Transmission)

Sdmcarlson

Threads
After spending 10 hours on replacing different parts on this transmission, I've found that there can be these 2 problems with it only going in forward or reverse. #1, grass build up under the Variation kit (#8 in Picture).
Clean by:
(Note, you do not need to remove Tranny)

#2: Replace Inversion Security System (#4) - - that's what the problem for mine.

Attachments

• rs 800 parts.jpg
    rs 800 parts.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 0

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
After spending 10 hours on replacing different parts on this transmission, I've found that there can be these 2 problems with it only going in forward or reverse. #1, grass build up under the Variation kit (#8 in Picture).
Clean by:
(Note, you do not need to remove Tranny)

#2: Replace Inversion Security System (#4) - - that's what the problem for mine.
“After spending 10 hours replacing parts on this transmission.”
This is why I do not work on hydro pumps and transaxles any longer. The frustration level is high, the stress level is high, and the pay is not worth the pain.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
“After spending 10 hours replacing parts on this transmission.”
This is why I do not work on hydro pumps and transaxles any longer. The frustration level is high, the stress level is high, and the pay is not worth the pain.
I know what you mean. Don't waste my time on them either. General trans are junk. Does anyone use them any more. I know HOP used them but haven't see any lately. Definately not made to pull aeriators.