Generac portable generator.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What are your thoughts. this generator was purchased 3 months ago so would be covered by a factory warranty, but has had a severe dirt injection past the air cleaner which basically ate the cylinder walls, rings, and contaminated the oil. The catch is the owners manual mentions a 6 month or 100 hour service interval for the air filter with a side note to service more often in dusty conditions.

Attachments

• Resized_20231120_130448.jpeg
    Resized_20231120_130448.jpeg
    433 KB · Views: 9

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You really like to get caught in the middle, don’t you. Have you shown it to the customer? Negligence 95% positive. Commercial use? Send it out the door. Residential use, if good customer might try calling Generac, after telling customer you’re not very confident it will work in his favor. Might want to check for warpped filter housing. I’ve seen some BIG BOX outlets take them back, but if they have a good customer service rep, probably won’t. Are you going to make friends eiy way on this job, probably not. Unless it is a very, very good customer I’d start washing my hands, I’m not going to win.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You really like to get caught in the middle, don’t you. Have you shown it to the customer? Negligence 95% positive. Commercial use? Send it out the door. Residential use, if good customer might try calling Generac, after telling customer you’re not very confident it will work in his favor. Might want to check for warpped filter housing. I’ve seen some BIG BOX outlets take them back, but if they have a good customer service rep, probably won’t. Are you going to make friends eiy way on this job, probably not. Unless it is a very, very good customer I’d start washing my hands, I’m not going to win.
Customer knew prior to dropping it off about the air cleaner and the oil usage. I just had him bring it to me to I could make sure it wasn't dirt ingestion around a leaking gasket. Can't confirm commercial use but highly suspected or at least has been used off initial residential site which qualifies as commercial use. This is a small 3300 watt totally enclosed inverter generator. Generac GP3300i if somebody wants to look it up. there is small gravel in the bottom of the case. The cooling air outlet next to the muffler looks like somebody has been blowing flour through it.

And the next project is a Troybilt handheld blower with dirt ingestion due to being run without the air cleaner filter or cover. Purchased 8 days ago. Customer didn't even know it was missing or that something was supposed to be there.