generac 006720 generator

Mark H_NO

Threads
So, it's likely a problem with stator. The windings look burnt. The connectors for the brushes are melted, which isn't a good sign. The motor runs great though. Just thought I'd post the results. So, if you adjust the governor, and the motor just races at full throttle afterward, do it again, and do it right this time.burned.jpg

Mark H_NO

Threads
That's what I figured. It's still a good motor.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That's what I figured. It's still a good motor.
That motor uses the normal generator tapered shaft and the genset mounting flange is part of the engine side cover which will about make it unuseable for any other purpose. Just went and looked the genset is $650

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Time to keep your eyes open for a generator with a bad motor and same genset.

Mark H_NO

Threads
That's what I was thinking. Thanks again.

RevB

Threads
Have you ever replaced the air filter? If you unlatch the filter housing and lift the filter up does the surging stop? Bad batch of filters years ago had a flame retardant sprayed on. Yeah....it stopped flames but also severely restricted airflow.

Mark H_NO

Threads
I believe the surging was governor related. I adjusted it(twice) and got it to run nice and smooth, but due to the burnt stator coil, it's not making power. It's a salvage, so it's just getting noted that it needs genset, runs good. It's not like it's my emergency power or anything.

TobyU

Threads
It was my thought that the hunting, was a symptom of the governor being maladjusted, or not working correctly. I could see that the governor was controlling the throttle. I've worked on small engines for a long time, as a shade tree mechanic, but have not messed with governors much. So much of the time, clean the fuel lines and carb, and you're back in business.
First of all, messing with the governor and adjusting its static adjustment is one of the LAST things you ever do to one of these small engines if it's having a running problem, surging or hunting.
Pretty much all of these surging issues are not the governor but rather the carburetor is slightly lean

The best way to test for this on a machine that is running is to take a shop cloth or a microfiber towel and fold it into force and then hold it slightly over the intake underneath the air filter to see if it will smooth out and stop surging.
If it does, and it usually will, this confirms that it is running too lean.
Then it's a matter of cleaning out the carburetor but of course far too many people out there will then go buy a new carburetor or order one from Amazon or whatever which is also a waste of time and money.
It either needs the main jet cleared out a little bit more like it should have been from the factory or if it has a secondary idle/pilot jet, which is often the case, it needs that one cleaned out because it is often plugged solid and that will cause the surging.

Typically when there is a governor problem the engine runs smoothly but it simply won't maintain its RPMs when you put a load on it.
Sometimes it's a little more complicated than this simplistic explanation but there is just a certain sound and a certain way they run and typically they are very slow to recover up to their full speed if you hold the throttle closed to slow the idle way down to an idle speed.
This is usually the symptoms of a governor that needs adjusted but the fact is out of 500 Small engines you come across, probably not even one of them needs the governor adjusted.
It simply doesn't get out of adjustment and the only thing that needs to be done is to bend whatever Tang to adjust the spring to pull a little harder against the governor or softer to adjust the RPMs.
The actual adjustment hardly ever needs to be touched.

You can look up the procedure for a static governor adjustment but it will be hard to find an actual written tutorial with a picture or two because you'll all you'll find will be stupid YouTube videos.
Videos that take far longer to get through and get to the actual meat of the situation that you want and videos that are about 80% either completely wrong, or doing things the hard way.
Very much upsets me what the internet has become for a repair reference resource.
It is far worse than it used to be.

Mark H_NO

Threads
Thanks Toby. I agree about the youtubes. So many times, a clearly written paragraph or two would cover the issue, and you've got to watch 4 different videos to put together the information. In this case, I did get a nicely written explanation, which worked great the second time I did it. I think I put too much pressure on the governor rod adjusting it the first time. The carb is my usual first thing to work on. So many times it's simply a dirty carb.