Gears not engaging after replacing brake pad

MapleKing

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a new to me Craftsman 917.254860 tractor. When I bought it there was no issue with the gears forward or backward but the brakes were totally soft and I nearly injured myself rolling back down a hill unable to stop. I ordered a new brake pad, removed the wheel and brake assembly. I replaced the pad and put everything back together. I made sure I adjusted the brake so that when depressed the arm was moving back and forth.

I started it up and put it in gear and it didn't move regardless of what gear I put it in. The tractor rolls back and forth without issue and I'm guessing it's not the brakes. I'm new to these kind of units so I have no clue why it would stop engaging after working on the brakes. Any thoughts on what the issue could be?

Dave

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you removed the wheel/tire assembly to get to the brake there is a 100% chance that you have lost the square drive key that connects the rim to the axle.

MapleKing

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you removed the wheel/tire assembly to get to the brake there is a 100% chance that you have lost the square drive key that connects the rim to the axle.
I removed the cap, ring and washer and slid the tire off. Like I said, I'm new to this.

Wouldn't the other tire turn though? I didn't remove it, just the one by the brake.

I'll take a look at a parts diagram and see if I can figure out what the "square drive key", where it's located and what the part number is so I can order a replacement.

Thanks for the follow-up...

Forest#2

Threads
You asked: Wouldn't the other tire turn though?
NO

Just pull the wheel back off and install the square key. It's probably laying on the floor or stuck to the bottom of your foot.
Also while you are doing things, remove the rims and clean and grease the axles stubs so as they won't rust into the rims.
AND sometimes a new brake pad will wear in fast and require a slight turn of the adjusting nut to get a good brake again later. Just reach up underneath and turn the nut 1/8 turn at time with a 1/2 inch end wrench. (or per the owners manual instructions)

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Got to remember these are differential transaxles and the differential is just like rear wheel vehicles.

1684789044665.png
ITEM 77 > 532123583 Square Key 3/16" X 2"

Key stock available at local hardware store, cut to length.

MapleKing

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got to remember these are differential transaxles and the differential is just like rear wheel vehicles.

View attachment 64607
ITEM 77 > 532123583 Square Key 3/16" X 2"

Key stock available at local hardware store, cut to length.
Thanks! I really appreciate that. New one is ordered and I'll get that installed this weekend.

For the record, I had no manual and working on riding mowers/tractors like this is new to me. I had no idea that such a small part on one wheel would be so integral.

I appreciate everyone for the assistance!

grumpyunk

Threads
If you drive in snow or mud, and you have one wheel slip, it will turn with a normal differential. Lack of the 'key' which connects the wheel to the driving axle is the same as driving with one wheel on ice, and in this case the axle will turn inside the wheel hub, but the wheel will likely barely turn at all.
Looking at the brake assembly, when the brake pedal is released, you should be able to see the small disk that the pucks rub on rotate when the wheel is turned when in any drive gear. One wheel will remain still(the one on the ground) and the other will rotate. The disk should be free to rotate also. The puck will also rotate in neutral as I just recalled, as the brakes work in neutral, so no need to be in gear.
If the disk will not rotate, remove the two bolts and the lever & ramp bits. Clean the ramp and remove rust as needed. You can lube the ramp with grease to allow the ramp to rotate and push on the pins(?) that will push on the brake pucks/pads. A smooth and lubricated surface will make the brakes apply and release smoothly. I don't remember it all, but any other brake parts that move should be cleaned of rust and lubricated, but NOT the pads/pucks or the disk. The disk should be able to move freely on the splined shaft but does not need lubrication, though a tiny bit would not hurt.
tom

rocky4

Threads
I have a new to me Craftsman 917.254860 tractor. When I bought it there was no issue with the gears forward or backward but the brakes were totally soft and I nearly injured myself rolling back down a hill unable to stop. I ordered a new brake pad, removed the wheel and brake assembly. I replaced the pad and put everything back together. I made sure I adjusted the brake so that when depressed the arm was moving back and forth.

I started it up and put it in gear and it didn't move regardless of what gear I put it in. The tractor rolls back and forth without issue and I'm guessing it's not the brakes. I'm new to these kind of units so I have no clue why it would stop engaging after working on the brakes. Any thoughts on what the issue could be?

Dave
Make sure the lever that you pull in order to push mower is in right position. Try pushing brake pedal down & off several times, (bump pedal fast and hard). something is stuck in the brake portion.

Freddie21

Threads
If this is a hydro trans, there is a little arm\shaft on the panel between the two rear wheels that allows the mower to be manually be pushed. It must be pushed in for the mower to drive.

TobyU

Threads
This is a common problem and anytime it happens after having the wheel off of a Craftsman 917. Mower it's almost always the little square key has fallen out or been pushed all the way in so it's not connecting the wheel to the axle shaft.
It's not a very good design as they put a huge long groove in it so it's possible for it to be too far in and then it will fall off later but normally it falls off on the ground when you take the wheel off but sometimes it can stick in the wheel and you can lose it during transport of the wheel etc or on installation..
I find the easiest way is to put the wheel on with the QA basically lined up and then press the key into place and tap it into place and use me the tip of a screwdriver or a punch to put it in that last little bit and then put your washers and clips on.
If you have a Craftsman that's a 247. Model number it will be made by MTD and more like the Troy-Bilt which will have a square shaft and typically a bolt and a washer in the end that tightens up which is kind of my preference on the design but we can't have everything..