GCV160 won't start unless gas put in air intake

NBKarnage

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi again,

I don't know why I can't open or view my other post on this issue, not with IE or Firefox...just keeps saying 400 Bad Request

Anyways, here it is again.

Lawnmower always stared 1-2 pulls until one day it won't fire at all, not even burp. I've done everything to carb including replacing it. All new fuel in tank and every gas line cleaned. Nothing.
I had one reply to first post and could only read it on my email notification, said my spark might be weak and will fire direct fuel for 2-3 seconds but not fuel from carb.
Can anyone expand on that please...how do I check this? Or make stronger? Plug is brand new also.

I'm very mechanically inclined and will try anything posted and write back.

Cheers

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check spark by
Take spark boot off, Unscrew plug, Plug boot back on, Put the of spark plug on something metal and grounded, turn off lights, pull rope check for a small spark you want a nice bright blue spark.

Also check your gaskets installed correctly and tightly but not over tight either.

Also check to make sure your autochoke is working properly the little choke door should be closed when starting and then open up when running.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
[GCV160 engine]

Lawnmower always stared 1-2 pulls until one day it won't fire at all, not even burp.

Okay, Honda GCV160 engine, what brand of lawnmower?

Does the mower have a manual throttle control?
Does the mower have a manual choke control?

If spark test is good, then short of some kind of internal failure, there is most likely a fuel/air delivery problem, i.e., too much or too little of either or both (air / fuel).

Using fresh fuel?
Choke operating properly (fully closed on cold engine)
New carb fitted with new gaskets...confirm they are all in the correct location, position and orientation. It is very easy to get one on backwards or upside down.
Ensure all rods, springs, and lever are correct when fitting new carb. There are multiple holes that springs can attach to, but only one is correct.
Be sure the two long bolts holding the carb, insulator, and air cleaner case are secure. It only take a small vacuum leak to make a "no-start" condition

NBKarnage

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks a ton for the responses...very helpful.

Well, she purrs again, problem is I did 2 last things before she ran again so I'm unsure which was the solution.

2 last things I did between not working at all (unless fuel put into air intake directly) and purring on first 1/2 pull:

- I had already cleaned the fuel lines and tank and all new gas but never blew out the gas shut-off valve. So I did.
- Before I did the spark plug test I loosened and re-tightened the ignition coil (armature) and checked the air-gap...looked fine before/after but could've been all it took.

Thanks again for all your help, truly a great forum of resources and smart people!

-Neal