GCV160 Can't Go Turtle

Honda_Power_Bro

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, first post here.

I have a GCV160 mower and it has trouble starting cold sometimes, even though I changed the spark plug recently, and I noticed that it can only start on rabbit mode and sputters if I try to go into turtle mode after I get it to run.
My suspicions are the carb? I've had a terrible time with trying to fiddle with the carburetor jet on my Honda snowblower (HS621) that has the same engine. It's super fragile and made of brass and I've scratched up my snowblower jet already so I'll probably call a pro to fix both if the problem with this mower is indeed the carb. Anyone with any thoughts?

Thanks!

olgeezershonda

Threads
I think it would probably be a good idea to take them to a pro.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First remove the air filter housing and make sure the choke is closing fully .
If not loosen the cable clamp & move the cable back till it does.
Get the right screwdriver for the main jet
It must be tight in the hole and tight in the slot
I find it best to use a power driver bit held in a 1/4" socket with the carburettor inverted and held securely in a vice ( with jaw protection so I can press down hard while turning
Trying to di it with the carb in one hand & the screwdriver in the other will always fail .
Details on how to clean the carburettor can be found on outdoor power info site

enigma-2

Threads
It sounds to me like one or more of the small jets or passages in the carb are gummed up. (You use Ethanol gas)?

Fix I use is to add Sea Foam to my gas tank and run the engine until the Sea Foam is pulled into the carb. Then shut the engine off and let the mix dissolve the gum. Depending how bad it is, this could take a few hours to a few days. But it usually always works.