GCV160 Auto Choke Issue

Sandman73

Forum Newbie
Threads
It doesn't seem to be working either way. After a while, I noticed that the linkage had extended, and I was able to tweak the arm to keep the choke open once it was hot. Ran fine.
Then today, it didn't seem to extend at all. The spring holds it closed pretty tightly.

Is there an updated part? I can't seem to find anything on that linkage or springs.

Attachments

• GCV160-Auto-Choke-Bulletin.pdf
    152 KB · Views: 2

SpoolinV70

Threads
Duh... should have checked that once more. I ended up ordering the linkage assembly earlier just to continue my parts cannon attempts at fixing this damn thing. Hopefully that settles it finally. I don't see why not at this point.

SpoolinV70

Threads
Got the linkage, and everything seems to be working properly! But... and you knew there had to be a "but"... just as with the old one, the arm doesn't quite grab the choke linkage on the carb. I'm trying to do a little bending to get it on there better, but it seems the arm is just a couple millimeters too short.
It's at a perfect place where it barely grazes the edge of the choke linkage, and isn't able to pull it back closed after extending fully.

Attachments

• IMG_1896.JPG
    IMG_1896.JPG
    614 KB · Views: 5

SpoolinV70

Threads
I tried to adjust it again, and once again, it's not working in my favor. I added a vacuum cap to help the arm grab onto the choke linkage, but now it's not opening soon enough. This shouldn't be this freaking complicated... stupid auto choke!

SpoolinV70

Threads
Alrighty, finally put together a solution. I put back the original auto choke assembly (the "old style" shown in the doc in post #11). I disconnected the return spring on the choke linkage on the carburetor, then attached a spring to the other side to hold the butterfly closed rather than opened. I drilled a small hole in the air cleaner bracket to hold the other end of the spring. That way, the auto choke arm can push on the linkage rather than pull, so it won't get hung up. After a test, it seems to be working. We'll see if that lasts!