GCV 160 defies my repair attempts

Alan46

Threads
You’re welcome! Merry Christmas to you and family!🎄☮️✌🏻

schreib69

Threads
Good news update:
The new spark plug arrived this AM. I put it in and it is operating normally again.
I would have tried new coil next. This series, as noted, does not have a low oil switch.
A note on spark plugs. I noticed last night the GCV 160 manual says that the BPR5ES is for pressure washers, and all other applications take BPR6ES. So since my unit has had the "wrong" plug since day one I guess in this instance they are pretty much interchangeable.
I really appreciate all the help, thanks again and may you all have a good Christmas holiday.
Just finished reading your post and all the response.
I would never have guessed the plug in a million years. I will try that on an engine I have been putzing with for 3 yrs! So, thanks for posting. . . who knows.

grumpyunk

Threads
Years ago a Honda-powered pressure washer needed a bit of cleanup. Did that, added fresh oil and fuel, and fired it up. It ran for a while, and was put to use. A few hours later, the engine would not start. I checked for spark, and there was none. A new mag was ordered and installed later which made it work.

Could it be the plug was faulty and a new one might have gotten it running again?
tom

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Years ago a Honda-powered pressure washer needed a bit of cleanup. Did that, added fresh oil and fuel, and fired it up. It ran for a while, and was put to use. A few hours later, the engine would not start. I checked for spark, and there was none. A new mag was ordered and installed later which made it work.

Could it be the plug was faulty and a new one might have gotten it running again?
tom
Possible. My personal experience with Honda has been run for five minutes and die like running out of gas, Drain the carb and start back up and run 5 minutes. Could do that all day long. Replaced the plug and would run until the tank was dry. A GX340 that was running and died, and would backfire every time the rope was pulled. Replaced the plug and went back to power washing. Honda ATV plugs on multiple occasions that would jump spark from the center electrode to the side of the plug instead of jumping the normal gap.

My rule is never trust a spark plug.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Bingo, That why I usually recommend using a known good plug because even new plugs can fail.

Alan46

Threads
I guess I’ll be changing my plugs more often, pretty cheap maintenance, thanks for the advice!👍🏻☮️✌🏻