Gator style Blades on ZTR's

RayMcD

Threads
Gentlemen, what kind of results do you have with Gator style blades on ZTR's? thanks r

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I’m not a big fan of them. They work okay in the fall or when the grass has dried off from dew or rain. Lush, damp or wet grass will make a big mess. These things may be different with where you live, your particular mower or type of grass you intend to cut. They are a side discharge blade. If you have a mulch kit on your mower, you will have to remove it and side discharge. If you have a mulch kit, It’s better to use the manufacturers mulching blades.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
How long is a piece of string ?
What is the meaning of life the universe & everything ?
What are next weeks winning lottery numbers ?

It is going to depend upon
what type of grass you are cutting
how long the grass is
How high you are cutting the grass
how many blades on your deck
How deep the deck is
Side or rear discharge
Up front or belly mount deck
What speed you mow
And of course which type of Gators or Gator copies you use & what you are trying correct.

FWIW
one commercial customer customer with a timcutter 34 loves them
Another with a timecutter 42 hates them

So how about letting out a few secrets, promise I won't tell any one.
Where are you ( weatherwise ) , What mower are you using brand , deck size & blade length , what are you cutting

RayMcD

Threads
Ok. I can see I stepped in it, my machine is a Bobcat CRZ 48", I'm just South of Atlanta, I believe I have nearly every variety of common grass that grows in these parts on a 1.5 acre lot. Typically the dew keep it wet much of the morning and early evening so it's often wet when I cut, I typically cut it 2.5" and normally once a week. I was considering trying Oregon Gator blades the fall when there is more leaves that actual grass to deal with. ☺

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok. I can see I stepped in it, my machine is a Bobcat CRZ 48", I'm just South of Atlanta, I believe I have nearly every variety of common grass that grows in these parts on a 1.5 acre lot. Typically the dew keep it wet much of the morning and early evening so it's often wet when I cut, I typically cut it 2.5" and normally once a week. I was considering trying Oregon Gator blades the fall when there is more leaves that actual grass to deal with. ☺
You will probably be okay when the grass starts going into dormancy and the leaves begin to fall. My grass is a mixed bag too. I’ve tried the G3 blades during the growing season and the results were horrible. My deck got packed with clippings. After a while, huge clumps would fall out. Another result was power loss from the buildup. The mower I had then was a Toro Timecutter HD 54”. When I traded the mower, I gave the G3s and other blades to my neighbor. He has a Bad Boy 54. I’ve found that OE style high lift blades work best during the growing season. By the way, I’m just outside of Americus, GA. So, our grasses are similar.

RayMcD

Threads
Gentlemen, does anyone know of a 16 1/4, mulch blade that is .250 thick? Most I find are ~.204 thick.

RayMcD

Threads
Thank you, as I read, does anyone have an thoughts on XHT MARBANE STEEL Blades ? I video impresses me>

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you, as I read, does anyone have an thoughts on XHT MARBANE STEEL Blades ? I video impresses me>
I bought some from this same guy. They were 100% authentic. I was not impressed. I got better wear out of OEM blades and Rotary brand aftermarket.
I see you are in Georgia. Rotary is a Georgia based company. Rotary has a Facebook site. Message them on what you are looking for. Give them your mower and blade information. I can guarantee they will respond.

RayMcD

Threads
Thank you, I did identify a Rotary blade that sparks my interest, I'll put them on the shelf to try in the spring.