Export thread

Gas Storage?

F

fritz1255

Apologies if this topic has been beat to death, but here goes. We store gas over the winter plus we keep an inventory for our generators due to our unreliable power grid. How long does Stabil keep gasoline fresh? Is there another product that works better?

cpurvis

cpurvis

This is a double post. I suggest you remove one or the other.

4getgto

4getgto

Apologies if this topic has been beat to death, but here goes. We store gas over the winter plus we keep an inventory for our generators due to our unreliable power grid. How long does Stabil keep gasoline fresh? Is there another product that works better?
I always keep 10-15 gallons of gas with Stabil added over the winter with no ill effects. Use a little Star Tron too on occasion. Works for me.. So probably stored at least 3-4 months. Keep it around for generator use if needed. I'll rotate it if I can but if not it sits.

Be careful using the sta-bil, once opened it only has 1 year shelf life. Read it on the bottle.

Now Seafoam* can stabilize gas for 2 years, & remain good in the opened can forever.

4getgto

4getgto

Be careful using the sta-bil, once opened it only has 1 year shelf life. Read it on the bottle.

Now Seafoam* can stabilize gas for 2 years, & remain good in the opened can forever.
Yea Sta-bil does say it has a shelf life. I use it year round regardless if it's being stored or now. Even use it 2 cars that I stored in the winter. If I find its not being used quick enough I dump the older Sta-bil in one of the everyday drivers. So it never really goes to waste for me.

Good, I just wanted to let anyone know about Sta-Bil expiration date, in case they did NOT know.

F

fritz1255

This is a double post. I suggest you remove one or the other.
Yes I accidentally double posted. Now how do I delete this post?

cpurvis

cpurvis

Yes I accidentally double posted. Now how do I delete this post?
There should be three buttons in the lower left corner--Report, Edit and Delete.

mikehouse

mikehouse

Personally,i like Seafoam.

Personally,i like Seafoam.

Same here w/ 100% gas.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Ethanol free gas locator https://www.pure-gas.org

S

Smith97454

Some good stuff I like. Have used Sta Bil, Seafoam and some others

C

cruzenmike

I keep 10-15 gallons of E0 on hand at all times. Once the gas gets to be about 6 months old I just put it into my car and refill my containers at the gas station. The thing about using E0 is that the underground tank at the station probably doesn't get filled up nearly as often as the other grades of fuel that they sell. Gasoline containing Ethanol (E10-E15) at the pump will likely be "fresher" than the E0 at that same station.

Up until about 3 years ago, I only used regular 87 without any stabilizer, and for more than 20 years I never had a problem with my small engines (one thing to keep in mind is that I ALWAYS ran my carb dry after each use). I also did the math and if you are good about consuming gas within the window of time that the stabilizer is "effective" it is significantly cheaper than purchasing E0 without any stabilizer. I would think that anyone using both E0 and stabilizer is likely wasting their money; that is if they are using the gas routinely. If you search around you will find that some sources will say that E0 can be stored for upwards of a year. If you plan for long term storage, a good air-tight container that keeps moisture out is likely to go further than any additive that you need to keep putting in periodically. Hasn't anyone ever heard of decade old drums of gasoline being opened and still being "good" enough to use?

tom3

tom3

For longer term storage use a metal can at pretty constant temperature. .