Repairs Gas pukes out of exhaust when I pull the starter cord

torooilleaker

Threads
  • / Gas pukes out of exhaust when I pull the starter cord
I will be as complete as I can be. Please have patience and read this completely. That will give you enough detail for you to help me. Thanks.

So, I have this HONDA lawn mower that just refuses to start. If I spray a little starting fluid on the carb throat, it starts and runs for about 5 seconds and dies. So, I took the carburetor out and cleaned it and still the same thing.....it didn't fire up.

I let it sit for about an hr and saw that that it was dripping gas from the carburetor throat thru the air filter opening. I pulled the starter cord couple of times and it squirted gas or gas oil/mixture out of the exhaust. After a couple of pulls it started and ran till it ran out of gas. Later the same day, I noticed that the started pull cord has become hard to pull from time to time. I removed the starter and was able to rotate the fly wheel with hand. I have not tried starting it again for about 24hrs now. When I look inside the exhaust, I see a tiny amount of gas? in the exhaust...something like a third of tea spoon. I am not sure if its from the gas/liquid ejection yesterday. I also checked the oil dipstick and has a feeling it has gas in the oil tank but am not sure how to make sure that it has gas in it. But it does not appear to have 100% oil alone in it. I mean, I am not sure that it has the consistency of oil alone.

So, I really need help

1. to know what's making the starter difficult to pull
2. Why was it puking out what appeared to be gas when I tried starting it? Was it puking gas or something else? How do I test it?
3. How do I know for sure if there are gas in the oil tank?
4. This lawn mower is in good condition. Is it possible to rescue it, or it is it toast?
5. How do I get this to start working again?

Please help.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All your problems stem from what sounds like a leaking float valve in the carb. The engine is hard to turn over because the gas it trying to hydrolock the engine. That is expelled gas in the exhaust, and how to find out if there is gas in the oil, is to smell the oil and find out if it has a gas smell.

Need to remove the carb, clean thoroughly, install need float valve, and gaskets. Before repairing the carb, check on the price of complete carb, New carb is cheaper than the parts to repair carb on some Honda engines

torooilleaker

Threads
Ok. This is a wonderful explanation. Let me ask you, do I need to dump the oil?

Thank you!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the oil smells of gas, you need to change the oil. Gas doesn't lube very well, and also makes the oil thinner which effects it lube ability also.

torooilleaker

Threads
Thank you for your responses guys. I love how the community is making sure that I understand what's going on. I really appreciate it. I am going to follow all the suggestions and will feedback how that is going. I am going to order a new carburetor right away. I am not going to try and rebuild what I have.

By the way, just for interest, If Wanted to rebuild the old carb, what would I need to change on it? Which of its parts?

Thanks again!