Gas in the oil.

mech3d54

Forum Newbie
Threads
I went to checked the oil in a Kohler sh265 engine and gas poured out when I took the cap off. Any idea what happened?

Thanks,
Joe C.

mech3d54

Forum Newbie
Threads
More than likely the float needle failed, allowing gas to flow through the carb, into the cylinder and then into the crankcase. Solution rebuild the carb with a new float needle.
Thank you for your reply, I will look into that.

Craftsman Garage

Threads
The carburetor float needle is either sticking or not sealing properly. Take the carb apart and clean it and look for a indent on the needle tip. if it has one, it most likely needs to be replaced. You have two options if this is the case: #1. find a carburetor rebuild/overhaul kit #2. Buy an aftermarket carburetor from Amazon etc. that is supposed to fit your model and take the needle and any other parts you may need from it and install on the OEM shell. Please don't actually use the complete aftermarket carb, only the parts you NEED, because they usually aren't the best quality (they have a tendency to cause surging and run rough) and you will probably have to take the carb apart again. This method has worked for me personally several times with no issues.

Craftsman Garage

Threads
More than likely the float needle failed, allowing gas to flow through the carb, into the cylinder and then into the crankcase. Solution rebuild the carb with a new float needle.
Crap Rivets, you beat me to it :rolleyes:

mech3d54

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here is a picture of the needle value, it look fine in appearance, but it still might not be sealing correctly, I don't know what to make out of it.

Attachments

• needle-valve.jpg
    needle-valve.jpg
    786.2 KB · Views: 19

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
make sure your float will float too. submerge it in water and make sure it floats

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When attempting to solve this problem I always start with the simple things first. Learned the hard way, trusting my eyes and not my gut, normally gets me in trouble.