GAS IN OIL

jeepfxr

Threads
I RECENTLY SOLD A SCOTTS RIDER WITH THE 18 HP OHV BRIGGS ENGINE. THE BUYER BROUGHT IT BACK AND SAID THAT IT STATTED SMOKING AND MISSING SO I ASSUMED THAT IT HAD BLOWN THE NEW HEAD GASKET THAT I HAD INSTALLED. I CHECKED TOE DIPSTICK TO SEE HOW MUCH OIL IT HAD AND IT SMELLED LIKE GAS AND WHEN I PULLED THE HEAD THERE WAS RAW GAS IN THE CYLINDER. IS THERE ANY OTHER WAY FOR THIS TO HAPPEN OTHER THAN HIM PUTTING GAS IN THE OIL FILL TUBE ? I CAN'T THINK OF ANOTHER WAY FOR THIS TO HAPPEN. THANKS GUYS.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, the problem is a bad float needle valve. Fix is to remove the carb, give it a good cleaning, install a new float needle and seat and reinstall. Should fix your problem. Have seen this hundreds of times and I would also start using non-ethanol fuel.

briggs

Threads
I RECENTLY SOLD A SCOTTS RIDER WITH THE 18 HP OHV BRIGGS ENGINE. THE BUYER BROUGHT IT BACK AND SAID THAT IT STATTED SMOKING AND MISSING SO I ASSUMED THAT IT HAD BLOWN THE NEW HEAD GASKET THAT I HAD INSTALLED. I CHECKED TOE DIPSTICK TO SEE HOW MUCH OIL IT HAD AND IT SMELLED LIKE GAS AND WHEN I PULLED THE HEAD THERE WAS RAW GAS IN THE CYLINDER. IS THERE ANY OTHER WAY FOR THIS TO HAPPEN OTHER THAN HIM PUTTING GAS IN THE OIL FILL TUBE ? I CAN'T THINK OF ANOTHER WAY FOR THIS TO HAPPEN. THANKS GUYS.

as stated above the carb needs cleaning (check float also to make sure its not full of fuel if it is replace it ) and a carb kit would be good as well as the seat is probably worn and letting fuel leak by it ...I would also put a inline fuel shut off valve to prevent this from happening again

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Inline shut offs are bandaid repairs, don't waste your money. Part number needed is probably 398188, but check your engine numbers.

briggs

Threads
Inline shut offs are bandaid repairs, don't waste your money. Part number needed is probably 398188, but check your engine numbers.

thats the first i have ever that one rivets ....I put them on all my machines even if i have redone the carb its a fail safe ..I have seen them fill the base after a carb job and blow a hole in the block when the fuel ignited ..Much rather have a fail safe then a blown motor plus they only cost 5 bucks a replacement engine cost a hell of allot more that's just my opinion tho

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
thats the first i have ever that one rivets ....I put them on all my machines even if i have redone the carb its a fail safe ..I have seen them fill the base after a carb job and blow a hole in the block when the fuel ignited ..Much rather have a fail safe then a blown motor plus they only cost 5 bucks a replacement engine cost a hell of allot more that's just my opinion tho

They are good for us trailer guys our stuff bounces around a lot and its just better to shut off fuel doesn't use any time and only costs a couple dollars

briggs

Threads
They are good for us trailer guys our stuff bounces around a lot and its just better to shut off fuel doesn't use any time and only costs a couple dollars

i do agree i put them on all my riders had a real nice JD it siphoned into the base i started it up and bang she went it was a Kawasaki 18hp twin since the i put shut offs on them :thumbsup:

jeepfxr

Threads
Yes, the problem is a bad float needle valve. Fix is to remove the carb, give it a good cleaning, install a new float needle and seat and reinstall. Should fix your problem. Have seen this hundreds of times and I would also start using non-ethanol fuel.

Thanks for the info and it now makes sense. That's what I'll do then.

jeepfxr

Threads

Thanks for the tip. This is what I'll do then.

MowGuy

Threads
Had this problem: apparently dog hair will get thru that red inline fuel filter and will hold the float needle open:laughing:

When i pulled the fuel filter off after i was wondering how the heck a piece of dog hair got inside the carb gas system it looked like a golden bristle brush! Musta taken years of free floating fur stuck to gas can neck or funnel or somehting to clog it haha