Fuel starvation

abarone300

Threads
I tried uploading the manual but it is too large.
P.M. me if you want me to e-mail it to you.
It's ok fish, I think I have the manual in a box somewhere, the machine is only a couple of years old Thanks.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
It's ok fish, I think I have the manual in a box somewhere, the machine is only a couple of years old Thanks.
The technician's repair manual? This manual is good to have.

abarone300

Threads
The technician's repair manual? This manual is good to have.
No, I was talking about the user's manual! But I'll lookout for the PDF version of the service manual. Thanks Fish!

abarone300

Threads
At this point in time, I'm still having an issue with "L" and "H" set screws (more with high revs). After a good rest I was able to restart the machine, removed the limiter cap (I'm going to probably end up buying a new carburator anyway...), turned the screw clockwise, to see how many turns it would take to reach the limit (It took a little over 1 and 1/2 turns) then screw back to the original setting and proceeded in turning the screw gradually in both directions, with very little change in RPM. I definetely couldn't get it to rev at a workable high revving cutting speed ( at this speed I suppose I can only "comb" the grass)! Also, will mention that when I had the accelerator pressed all the way, the motor almost stalled, when I adjusted the screw almost to the limit. Would you guys know what a Stihl or a good substitute carburator goes for? I'm weighing in the options whether to buy a new carburator or install a seal or rebuilding kit . I still haven't received the seal kit I ordered, as far as I know it might be coming all the way from China; Amazon.it doesn't always ( in fact they never do, and you assume you'll have it in 2-3 days) tell you where it's coming from, before you purchase the stuff.

Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'll upload the manual on the Stihl Chainsaw fans' Facebook page, just go to the file section.

kbowley

Threads
At this point in time, I'm still having an issue with "L" and "H" set screws (more with high revs). After a good rest I was able to restart the machine, removed the limiter cap (I'm going to probably end up buying a new carburator anyway...), turned the screw clockwise, to see how many turns it would take to reach the limit (It took a little over 1 and 1/2 turns) then screw back to the original setting and proceeded in turning the screw gradually in both directions, with very little change in RPM. I definetely couldn't get it to rev at a workable high revving cutting speed ( at this speed I suppose I can only "comb" the grass)! Also, will mention that when I had the accelerator pressed all the way, the motor almost stalled, when I adjusted the screw almost to the limit. Would you guys know what a Stihl or a good substitute carburator goes for? I'm weighing in the options whether to buy a new carburator or install a seal or rebuilding kit . I still haven't received the seal kit I ordered, as far as I know it might be coming all the way from China; Amazon.it doesn't always ( in fact they never do, and you assume you'll have it in 2-3 days) tell you where it's coming from, before you purchase the stuff.
Hi, you didn't mention which screw you adjusted, IE, H or L. Which one did you remove the limiter from? If it doesn't rev up, you need to open the H screw further until it runs clean. then back to the L screw to set so it doesn't bog when you goose the throttle. You need to work with both to get a good idle, good wide open, and no bogging when goosing the throttle from idle. Turn them slowly as some carbs are sensitive when fine tuning to get the result. Please ask if you need any assistance. However, it likely needs a carb kit. A local Stihl dealer should have the correct carb kit for it. Is it a Zama C1q s161b? The carb kit should be an RB-83.

Last edited:

abarone300

Threads
Hi, you didn't mention which screw you adjusted, IE, H or L. Which one did you remove the limiter from? If it doesn't rev up, you need to open the H screw further until it runs clean. then back to the L screw to set so it doesn't bog when you goose the throttle. You need to work with both to get a good idle, good wide open, and no bogging when goosing the throttle from idle. Turn them slowly as some carbs are sensitive when fine tuning to get the result. Please ask if you need any assistance. However, it likely needs a carb kit. A local Stihl dealer should have the correct carb kit for it. Is it a Zama C1q s161b? The carb kit should be an RB-83.
Hi Kevin, thanks for the help.Before I contacted this forum, the only screw I adjusted was the "IE" to set the idle speed a little higher. After that; before I order the seal kit I tried to adjust "H" as a last resort. As I mentioned before, the adjustment didn't work (the engine would stall before it reached the extreme right). I went on and ordered the Seal Kit (which included four seals, one of them being the diaphram).
Received the kit and installed it, but found out the seal kit did not included a fifth seal I ended up needing (it got destroyed when I tried to remove it).
In short, the carburator still off, because I haven't been able to find the two outside seals (one of them is the one I ripped). It's funny how all the stores online in Italy have the seals in "stock", but it's going to take 2-3 weeks to get from their warehouses; it's definetly coming from China ,for sure! (I'm trying to avoid ordering stuff from China, unless I really have to).
I'm still looking for the seals, but I'm sure I'm going to have to either order it from China or make one of the two ( the second one it's not a critical seal and can use the old one)

abarone300

Threads
Hi Kevin, thanks for the help.Before I contacted this forum, the only screw I adjusted was the "IE" to set the idle speed a little higher. After that; before I order the seal kit I tried to adjust "H" as a last resort. As I mentioned before, the adjustment didn't work (the engine would stall before it reached the extreme right). I went on and ordered the Seal Kit (which included four seals, one of them being the diaphram).
Received the kit and installed it, but found out the seal kit did not included a fifth seal I ended up needing (it got destroyed when I tried to remove it).
In short, the carburator still off, because I haven't been able to find the two outside seals (one of them is the one I ripped). It's funny how all the stores online in Italy have the seals in "stock", but it's going to take 2-3 weeks to get from their warehouses; it's definetly coming from China ,for sure! (I'm trying to avoid ordering stuff from China, unless I really have to).
I'm still looking for the seals, but I'm sure I'm going to have to either order it from China or make one of the two ( the second one it's not a critical seal and can use the old one)
I have finally reinstalled the carburator after using the new internal seals and and the two external seals I made. Tried to start it and its a NO GO still!
I'm going to try one more thing and then give up and order a new carburator!
Want to make sure the "L" screw is adjusted at a "ball park" position to exclude that it's preventing the start up process (I assume the "H" screw doesn't effect this process, and I won't worry about it for now)
Will let the cutter sit for a while , check the position of screw "L" a then try it again. If it doesn't start I'll go ahead and order a new carburator. Thanks to all: