Fuel leaking from B&S Carb

PMW555

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, Noob here. I just found the forum. I have a Snapper P21500 mower with the 5.5 HP B&S engine, which I purchased in 1995 I think. I can no longer read the date on the sales slip, but that is about right. It has given me 26 years of great service - until just recently. A few weeks ago, I was mowing, it quit, would not restart. I took it to a local repair shop, where the tech took great interest in it, saying it was one of the best, and "they don't make them like this anymore." The tech went through it thoroughly. Among the things done was, "Briggs & Stratton 398188 Needle Seat Kit Carburetor."

When I picked up the mower, it started on the first pull. But on the way home I noticed a strong smell of gasoline in our SUV. I parked the mower in our drive under garage, but by the next day, the smell of gas was so strong that it was all over the house. I've taken it back twice for that problem, but it was not corrected.

Gas is leaking from the carb, as I can feel it by running my fingers under the carb, and the leak will eventually drain the tank. It also apparently floods the carb, as it will start on the first pull without the choke, and is difficult to restart when it's hot..

I feel the tech messed up the carb overhaul. Does this sound like something is simply out of adjustment, or should I buy a new carb? Can someone point me to the right carb? I'm confused about the various carb numbers out there. Sorry for the long first time post.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Check your oil level... be sure it doesn't smell like gasoline.

the new needle is not sealing properly and not stopping fuel flow into the carb when the bowl gets full.
post the model number of the engine, it should be stamped into the metal blower housing either above the muffler on the flap, or above the spark plug.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’m willing to bet the tech installed the float seat upside down. This will allow the fuel to constantly drain past the needle, draining the tank. He’ll have to install a new kit and change the oil, twice. Not a hard repair, but I’d make sure they pay for it, as it was their fault.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
^ I bet Rivet's is right. The ring on the seat should face down, smooth side up.
1629059226629.png

PMW555

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the great replies! Would fuel drain into the oil? I don't see how, but I'll check it anyway. I'll check the engine model number tomorrow.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Fuel will get into anything lower than the tank. Trust me, i see it fairly often

PMW555

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, I found the numbers over the spark plug. The model number is:128802, type is: 0211-01, and there is a "code," 94050458. I checked the oil on the dipstick and did no smell any gas. It will probably be a day or two before I can tear into it.

PMW555

Forum Newbie
Threads
A search reveals that I can buy a new carb for the 128802 for $10 or less. That seems easier than trying the re orient the float seat, since I have to take the carb off anyway. Any thing I should look (out) for in buying a new carb?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
The $10 carbs are a hit or miss on Quality.
I would take The mower back to the shop, and tell him to fix his mistake if the seat was installed upside down. It will require a new seat since it will be damaged in removal.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I can buy a new carb for the 128802 for $10 or less
As Scrub said, those Chinese carbs are a gamble. I would stay away from them unless you know how a carb works and can possibly fix it if it needs fix'n.

You can get a real Briggs rebuild kit for cheap too.