Fuel issues with 33r877

Steve-p

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a JD d110 with a 33r877 that has been sitting for several years. Replaced the battery, cleaned the carb and put in fresh gas and now it will crank right up.

It runs for a few minutes the starts surging getting worse and worse until it dies. The fuel filter looked pretty bad so I replaced that and the fuel pump and no change.

Here is the part I can’t figure out- after replacing the pump I figured out that if I disconnect the pulse line from the pump it will run like a champ for a minute or so until it runs out of gas in the carb. It goes back to surging immediately when I reconnect the pulse line.

I can’t find any clogs or blockages in any of the lines so I have three thoughts
1- vacuum leak somewhere
2- something floating in the tank clogging the pickup while the engine is running then floating back to the bottom
3- something going on in the crankcase

Any ideas on this one? My next step as far as I can tell is pulling the tank which seems like a pain in the neck, or rigging up a gravity feed fuel tank on the hood and bypassing the pump.

Thanks for reading through all that and I would be grateful for any suggestions

Tinkerer200

Threads
I always have a test gravity feed gas tank at hand and I think you are on the right track using one. Problem not in crankcase. Suspect leak in vacuum line or pump diaphragm. Your test tank will help tell you.
Walt Conner

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And just to be different , I see a lot of fuel tanks blocked by floating debris that floats away when the engine is turned off .
And yes like Walt, I like to do substitutions like using an alternative tank to isolate where a problem is