Fuel Inlet seat Part Number

Bivvysenior

Forum Newbie
Threads
The engine is mounted on a Lawnflyte MTD548 lawnmower
Engine Model 286707 Type 1184 E1 Code 9811092D
According to the Briggs and Stratton Parts Manual the fuel inlet seat part number is 690577 , however this seat when fitted is to loose and falls out .
The carburettor I have currently fixed to my engine I would describe as a large one piece Flojet with a brass seat and not the one with the rubber seat fitted.
I have visited to two local B&S dealers in the Uk who do not recognise the carburettor or are able to help, (probably they are to young and never saw one). We have had the Mower in our family since purchase and I do not remember any work carried out concerning carburettor being changed. I do not understand why this carb is different to the parts manual. I would appreciate any advice how I can find the right part number

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Part is definitely available in to US. If it’s falling out you have have a problem where the hole it goes into is washed out, or the seat itself is worn. You are going to have to make sure which is the cause before purchasing a new seat. Your last resort is to try to try to glue it back in. If you try this, you must make sure that the seat is sealed in the hole. Any leakage will cause a problem.

Bivvysenior

Forum Newbie
Threads
The seat that I bought part no 690577 diameter measures 7.55mm and the seat I had removed measured is 7.95mm . These are totally different seats , surely there must be a B& S part number, perhaps if you can give me a part number for the Flojet carb I may be able to locate the correct seat. The reason I need a new seat is that despite replacing the needle and setting the float level I still had fuel leaking into the crankcase

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
There are a few different seats based on date codes and whether your engine pump fed or gravity. And 2 different carbs were used on this engine a Nikki and Walbro... The nikki appears to use a Viton (rubber) tipped needle and doesn't appear to have a replaceable seat...... https://shop.briggsandstratton.com/pages/parts-lookup#/Briggs_&_Stratton/286707-1184-E1/Carburetor,_Carburetor_Overhaul_Kit/2867071184E1/22470003/y
1629679534702.png And, are you sure of the model number? the carbs in the diagram don't appear to be the Flo Jet type...

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That mower was produce around 1988 so it appears that the engine shroud has been replaced if it still has the original engine. Now if it is an one piece flojet it will look similar to this

1629734098895.png

It is probably the 281707 series.

I only see a pump fed brass seat available under PN 394683. Gravity fed version used a rubber seat. I don't have one here to measure so you are SOL on my part.

Bivvysenior

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Scrubcadet10 thank you for your interest and trying to help me .
The picture is identical to the carburettor I have but the seat is brass only with a vicron needle
I initially bought a rubber seat and needle but again the rubber seat just falls out .. My carburettor is gravity fed and does not have a fuel shut off so it floods the crankcase.
As a Brit Newbie to your interesting site I apologise to ask but what does SOL on your part mean?
It is a family mower that was bought in UK then went abroad to France was used, eventually my son repatriated a few years ago .
It has worked faultlessly until recent crankcase flooding. Really good mower prefer it to our Mountfield Ride on
I would like to repair it
The 394683 seat may be a solution ?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
SOL = Sadly Outta Luck (polite form)

Bivvysenior

Forum Newbie
Threads
Must get use to the terminology I hope you did not mind me asking ?.
Thank You . for the more useful feedback than the local B&S dealers in my neck of the woods, hopefully I will get a solution

Bivvysenior

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Scrubcadet
After interrogating the family I now find that the mower was bought as a refurbished item from a John Deere franchise. So your information about about having a 281707 engine number seems probable . It would appear that it had a engine replaced with a 286707 but the carburettor was just swapped over to make it fit.
Is there any way You could provide me with a link to a Briggs manual for the 281707 so I can investigate further as The only 394683 kits are available in the USA after checking no availability in the Uk
I am not sure whether the seat kit 394683 is for Vitron needle and seat or the rubber seat as it appears on the pictures on ebay have either . Ideally I would like to buy the Vitron needle and seat.
Thanks for your patience