Fuel/air adjusting screw

ghost1

Threads
I'm working on a small Briggs that's attached to an edger. The air/fuel mixture screw (located on top in picture), doesn't seem to make any difference on how the engine runs whether it's turned completely in or taken all the way out. Can anyone let me know what might not be working right with the engine or carb?

Attachments

• IMG_2015[1].jpg
    IMG_2015[1].jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2013[1].jpg
    IMG_2013[1].jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 21

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
My guess, and that's all it is, is that either that jet's passageway is plugged or you have an air leak somewhere.

ghost1

Threads
My guess, and that's all it is, is that either that jet's passageway is plugged or you have an air leak somewhere.
Thanks cpurvis. After I typed thread, I started engine and at idle, sprayed some brake cleaner around the throttle shaft and engine increased rpm. I assume that's where the air leak is as it sets very loose in carb collar. With age of engine, I'm sure parts will be scarce and wondering if there is anything that be done to tighten up the shaft?

Thanks again

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I believe at least some parts are still available for that style of Briggs carburetor. If there's a B&S number on the engine, use that to search. You'll probably have to buy the whole carburetor kit to get the shaft seals, IF it uses them and half the time, the shaft is as much of a problem as the bushings or seals. On the bright side, replacement carburetors for B&S engines are usually not too expensive.

If your search fails, call this place. They've almost always been able to help me: https://lawnparts.com/ Or, call John Deere.

ghost1

Threads
Thanks again, I think I will pursue the new carb route.....

ghost1

Threads
Turns out it's a Kawasaki not Briggs. Found carbs for around $100. Thanks to all for the help