fs45c will not start

kevinhonn

Forum Newbie
Threads
ok so here is some history... I bought this FS45C on a steal $20.00 looked brand new. I brought it home it started right up, I did some weedeating and parked it for a week used it again worked like a charm. I felt guilty... so then the trouble started on the third time I used it. I noticed the switch wasn't working so I replaced the switch. It didn't fix it so I noticed I had spark but no fuel so I replaced the carb. Bang if fired up used it a couple times ran like it was brand new. Then the gremlin came back would not start and no spark, so I replaced the coil and have not been able to get it to start since. I have spark now and have manually fed fuel to the cylinder and carb. No start... what the heck! Can anybody help me?

Maybe the .010 gap I set wasn't right?

Kevin

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds more like you have a kill wire grounding out the coil, which on this model is easy to do. Take the top back off and unplug the kill wire at the coil,
and start the trimmer to verify this. You will have to choke the trimmer, or pull the plug wire to shut it off.

Try this and let us know what you find.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
If its got one, have you cleaned the Spark Arresting Screen.

burnerboy

Threads
With my FS 45 I had to replace my throttle cable as the lower lever that the barrel of the cable fits into had snapped.

During this I had inadvertently damaged one of the cables from the coil to the switch and flattened it which I think happened when pushing it back into one of the grooves.

I guess an easy test would be visually inspect cables as they appear to get fragile or just cant cope with big clumsy fingers like mine ! I removed mine from switch and coil and did a continuity test with a multi-meter which showed a break. When I checked the cable it just seemed a little squashed and not broken so I guess they are thin and delicate.

Just a thought but a quick check and for me a quick fix.

Good luck

kevinhonn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks everybody, I will target the ground wire this weekend and let you know.