FS45 Strimmer Leak ???

Cannon51

Threads
Thanks Fish, I printed it to take to the garage with me.
Cannon

burnerboy

Threads
It gets worse !!!

Spoke to my dealer and gave the unit and carb references and none of them matched their records for an FS 45 !!

He gave me a number for Stihl technical who said that the FS45 which has a C1Q S97 has a replacement carb which is a C1Q S186. The Stihl reference for this carb is 4140 120 0619.

Called dealer back with new reference and guess how much ??? 」104, or 」36 for the gasket set !!

Just ordered gasket set from an on line source for 」10

So will be stripping down and replacing gasket hoping it solves the little leak.

Another question is that when you replace the fuel lines on an FS45 you have to line a lug up or something.....any ideas why ?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not sure what you mean. Also, how much is that in us dollars?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
"Another question is that when you replace the fuel lines on an FS45 you have to line a lug up or something.....any ideas why ?"

Do you mean this...?

FISH

about 」104 = $164 for the carb
about 」36 = $56 for the gasket set
about 」10 = $15 for the gasket set on line

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.bmp
    383.1 KB · Views: 13

burnerboy

Threads
Sorry guys those prices were 」 sterling cheers for converting to USD.

As for the image, yes that the kiddy....why is that so crucial ?

burnerboy

Threads
It gets even worse!

Got the carb gasket kit delivered, fitted it and when I try and fill the bulb/primer I hear suction and the bulb isn't flat but it will not draw fuel through.

The fuel lines are connected the right way round as I have double checked.

When I pump the bulb to try and fill it I see air bubbles rising in the fuel tank and don't seem to remember this happening before the carb gasket replacement.

If I remove the fuel filler lid and try and prime the bulb it is no different.

One thought is that when I fitted the two gaskets under the primer bulb housing could I have put one in the wring way ?? There is one with a silver disk affair in the center of the gasket and I wasn't sure if I had put that the wrong way around perhaps ? Is this possible even.

I am really hoping I have done something dumb, but easy to correct........wish.

Any thoughts guys??

Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The metal disc goes inward towards the carb body. Also closely examine the old gasket, make sure that the little holes line up with the old gasket,
if
they don't, use the old gasket.

Also, while apart, remove the needle/spring/lever and look through that passage, then blow it out, then look again, make sure visually that the passage is clear.

Reassemble.

burnerboy

Threads
Cheers for the tip Fish.

Oddly though, I pumped the bulb after leaving it over night and all was well !!!!

Took a couple of pulls but sparked into life and so far no more leaks and doesn't cut out when inverted.

Couple of things noticed though :-

1. The pull rope now seems to pull more before it turns over !! - sorry best way I can describe it.
2. It seems to bog on high revs - is this because I have just re-done the carb, fuel lines and filet or does it just need setting up again?

I was planning on re-setting the carbs in line with the workshop manual or is there a better way ?

Cheers