Export thread

FS45 Strimmer Leak ???

B

burnerboy

Having recently overhauled my strimmer I have noticed that if I run it for a while I leave it I get a tiny amount of fluid either pooling on top of or dribbling down the side of the fuel tank.

It is red in color but I cant tell if its fuel or perhaps over eagerness with the air filter spray after cleaning it which is red and smells similar to fuel.

Any thoughts ?

Fitted new fuel lines which are all secure etc. Is there some kinda air vent that this may be coming from or is it air filter spray and a good dose of paranoia??

EngineMan

EngineMan

Wouldn't that be the 2 stroke oil.

B

burnerboy

Hi Engine Man

Maybe but cant see how this is getting there or where from?

The issue is that the oil used to re-coat my air filter is the same color as the 2 stroke oil used to mix with the petrol.

Any thoughts ?

EngineMan

EngineMan

Well it maybe that, try it with less oil and see.

jekjr

jekjr

Thought. We have a Stihl hand held blower and kept having a similar type gas leak to what you describe. We discovered that it was coming from the fuel cap not being on tight enough. We started tightening it a little firmer and it has no leaks. We run this blower every day now with no problems.

B

burnerboy

Hi Jekjr

Thanks for the reply.

This had been a consideration, hence my question about vents and breathers. Mine has the old style IE plain black lid which I have sen a diagram suggesting it has an integral vent - anyone confirm this ? -

What I have noticed is that when I undo the filler cap it is quite firmly on and almost a mild fizz ala opening a bottle of fizzy drink - a very minor fizz like air entry/escape so I wondered if the vent was blocked/stuck but without knowing where it is its hard to check. Maybe I have started not firmly tightening it being mindful of the fizz sound. WIll try some test runs this week and post

EngineMan

EngineMan

I do believe you have a manual, but if not........

Attachments

• FS45 FUEL TANK.bmp
    1.5 MB · Views: 28

B

burnerboy

Hi Guys

Well I have found the leak !!

Just sat with strimmer on the bench and gave it a good run and noticed a small leak from the underside of the carb'.

I suspect a gasket has given out and was wondering if its better to look for a new carb or to get one of the gasket kits ?

Any thoughts or experience of either ?

FS45Leak01_zps3a95aa11.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

B

burnerboy

More pics, taken after leaving machine to sit for 30 mins or so :-

Betterpicoffuelleak_zps0fd8c79b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Moisture_zps3137e285.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

CulpritPerhaps_zps0064caaa.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Fish

Fish

I have seen a bunch of Zama carbs leaking at the fuel pump gasket area. Used to try the gasket kit, but it didn't cure it. Finally started using a
thin coat of Indian Head Gasket Shellac.
Check with your local Stihl dealers, the had marked down new Zama carbs to @ $20 on several models, the funniest part was they sold the full gasket kit for @ $16 or so.

EngineMan

EngineMan

A good set of photos, only thing you can do is to renew the seals/gaskets again, or give it a leak test, but if you haven't got one you need someone to do it for you.

B

burnerboy

Latest update.

I couldnt get it from my mind that the ' leak ' could be no more than my over exuberant re-oiling of the air filter after cleaning it. The product for re-coating is red and has a similar smell to fuel.

So I removed the air filter, cleaned right down the entire area and re-ran the machine.......still a leak. So by process of elimination I am back to the gasket failure (as confirmed by Fish above).

I called in to my local Stihl dealer who couldn't give prices (they are moving shops today) but said that a new carb unit would be " considerably dearer than a gasket set ".

To date they have been great so I have no reason to doubt. For instance I picked up today a filter and fuel lines for my SH 85 over the counter for £10.60 inc VAT. The cheapest on line price was £15.34. Admittedly that was delivered to my door but would take 3-5 days and the dealer is a 10 minute drive away.

Before I plunge with the gaskets whats this ' Shellac ' stuff about, never heard of it nor would know where to get it ? Is this something you apply to a gasket to aid the seal ???

Cheers

Fish

Fish

Yes. Let me check around here for a new carb first, shipping to you shouldn't cost more than $6 or so.

EngineMan

EngineMan

"Shellac" we used to call it button polish in the old days, its what is used to dip transformers in etc.

B

burnerboy

Cheers Fish, but I am in England ?

Still no clearer Engine Man sorry !! Is it something readily available in the UK still ?

How do I ID my carb, what references are usually found on them as all I can see is :

613A

This looks like it has been stamped in some kind of ink ??

Cheers

Fish

Fish

Yeah, it has been a year or two since I have shipped overseas, it definitely has gone up. First class is @ $11 or so.

The carb will say Zama, The model will be cast in the side, the other model number should start with an S

Attachments

EngineMan

EngineMan

Still no clearer Engine Man sorry !! Is it something readily available in the UK still ?[/QUOTE said:
Yes you can still get it.

How you google the word "shellac"

I just can't see why a good set of gasket (seals) are not working with you, are you sure that they are fitted the right why around, so many do fit them wrongly.

Fish

Fish

No, new gaskets put on correctly, carb will still leak, usually pees a fine mist out while you are trimming.

When I worked for that big dealership in Louisville, I had one just out of warranty. I consulted with our General Mgr and the Stihl reps to try and get
it covered, as I had seen it several times before, they said no.

Back then, with the new carb and labor, the bill would have been almost the cost of the trimmer new.

That is why I tried the gasket shellac, of course, taking the carb back apart later would be impossible.

Now that Stihl owns Zama, they are selling a lot of these carbs dirt cheap, so you might check with your local dealers.

B

burnerboy

Yes you can still get it.

How you google the word "shellac"

I just can't see why a good set of gasket (seals) are not working with you, are you sure that they are fitted the right why around, so many do fit them wrongly.

Well.......... I suppose its worth a try at least it will look nice even if it doesnt work :-

1st result from Googling Shellac : CND Shellac - Say Hello to Shellac - Creative Nail Design - YouTube

Shoudl I be applying any compounds etc to a new gasket or just dry ?

Cheers for everyone's continued interest and assistance with this

B

burnerboy

Yeah, it has been a year or two since I have shipped overseas, it definitely has gone up. First class is @ $11 or so.

The carb will say Zama, The model will be cast in the side, the other model number should start with an S

Hi Fish

So from your pics the items you have there is a " C1Q - S56 910 A " ??

Is this right as the " S " looks like a " 6 ", its just that you state there is an S pre-fix somewhere

Cheers

Fish

Fish

I can't say anything about your part of the world, but generally, around here, the carb number has an s in front of it.

B

burnerboy

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was just making sure that I had read your carbs details (from the pics) correctly.

Was my interpretation right ?

Fish

Fish

Here is a couple more old Zamas

Attachments

B

burnerboy

Here is a couple more old Zamas

Thanks Fish. The left one it is apparent is an "S" but the right one looks like mine...could be an "S" and "6" or an "8" so I guess that mine is a n "S" pre-fix.

Been looking on a well known auction site for a gasket set or carb and no joy (in UK) for gasket set so will have to try my dealer. I did see a carb and provide a link to the advert. Mods I am not endorsing the item or the site merely demonstrating the price that carbs (2nd hand) go for over here so I can compare to the price of a gasket / repair set.

STIHL FS38 / FS45 / FS55/ KM55 PETROL STRIMMER/KOMBI ZAMA CARBURETOR (C1Q-S186) | eBay

As my earlier post my carb has a reference of 577 613A, which now I feel should be " S77 613A " which is odd as the above add states S186 - shame you cant see the makings in the pictures.

Based on this I think I will go down the repair route

Will keep you all posted and again thanks for your input

EngineMan

EngineMan

Specks say that the carb for the FS45 is Zama C1Q-S66/C1Q-S71/C1Q-S97 so where did this S77-613A come from..?

Fish

Fish

Not sure what that equates to in U.S. dollars, but it looks too much. Let me see what I can get you one around here for.

B

burnerboy

Hi All.

The reference S77-613A is what the carb on my FS45 C has on it...well I think it does ! Arrah scrub that it has S97-613A !!

P1070286_zpsc272e843.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1070292_zps66c41116.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And side view of carb to demonstrate type :-

P1070283_zps79caad2d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Fish

Fish

looks like an s-97 to me!!!!

M

Mikel1

It should have C1Q stamped in the middle of the carb, not on the side with the S97. I had that carb on my Stihl km55-r and replaced it with C1Q- S186 carb.

Fish

Fish

It should have C1Q stamped in the middle of the carb, not on the side with the S97. I had that carb on my Stihl km55-r and replaced it with C1Q- S186 carb.

How much did your dealer charge you?

M

Mikel1

How much did your dealer charge you?

Carb was $32 from stihl dealer(15 miles away) however my local stihl dealer was trying to sell it for $100. I installed it myself.

Fish

Fish

Yeah, most of the Zamas have been marked down by Stihl, but some dealers have been charging the old price and pocketing the difference. I'll check with my local guy,
he might be able to get it for @ $20, I usually sell them new on E-Bay for $30....

But I have been on a vacation this summer.

M

Mikel1

That local dealer wanted $50 for the rebuild kit:thumbdown:

Fish

Fish

That local dealer wanted $50 for the rebuild kit:thumbdown:

wow!!

The kit from Stihl used to be @ $16 or so, but that was several years ago!!!

B

burnerboy

Well cant seem to get a new carb here in the UK !!! Re-build kits are about 」15 delivered from flea-bay so looks like I will have to go that way !!

Have been running the strimmer to test leak on the flat and runs and revs perfectly yet when you incline it IE in the position you would use it it seems to choke up and stall at full revs yet when leveled back out revs fine ??

Also noted that it was smoking like mad and used loads of fuel....any thoughts guys?

Fish

Fish

Also noted that it was smoking like mad and used loads of fuel....any thoughts guys?

I wondered where my ex-wife went!!!!

Fish

Fish

Let me check on a new carb!!!

exotion

exotion

I wondered where my ex-wife went!!!!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

C

Cannon51

Glad I found this thread. Last week I bought a FS55RC and the carb is leaking gas from somewhere. The carb (C1Q S71 4157) is so nasty I can't tell from where. I am ordering a RB-100 kit for the carb but can't find an online IPL for the gaskets on each side. Should I reuse them?
Cannon

Fish

Fish

Here is a blowup out of the Stihl mediacat.

Attachments

C

Cannon51

Thanks Fish, I printed it to take to the garage with me.
Cannon

B

burnerboy

It gets worse !!!

Spoke to my dealer and gave the unit and carb references and none of them matched their records for an FS 45 !!

He gave me a number for Stihl technical who said that the FS45 which has a C1Q S97 has a replacement carb which is a C1Q S186. The Stihl reference for this carb is 4140 120 0619.

Called dealer back with new reference and guess how much ??? 」104, or 」36 for the gasket set !!

Just ordered gasket set from an on line source for 」10

So will be stripping down and replacing gasket hoping it solves the little leak.

Another question is that when you replace the fuel lines on an FS45 you have to line a lug up or something.....any ideas why ?

Fish

Fish

Not sure what you mean. Also, how much is that in us dollars?

EngineMan

EngineMan

"Another question is that when you replace the fuel lines on an FS45 you have to line a lug up or something.....any ideas why ?"

Do you mean this...?

FISH

about 」104 = $164 for the carb
about 」36 = $56 for the gasket set
about 」10 = $15 for the gasket set on line

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.bmp
    383.1 KB · Views: 13

B

burnerboy

Sorry guys those prices were 」 sterling cheers for converting to USD.

As for the image, yes that the kiddy....why is that so crucial ?

B

burnerboy

It gets even worse!

Got the carb gasket kit delivered, fitted it and when I try and fill the bulb/primer I hear suction and the bulb isn't flat but it will not draw fuel through.

The fuel lines are connected the right way round as I have double checked.

When I pump the bulb to try and fill it I see air bubbles rising in the fuel tank and don't seem to remember this happening before the carb gasket replacement.

If I remove the fuel filler lid and try and prime the bulb it is no different.

One thought is that when I fitted the two gaskets under the primer bulb housing could I have put one in the wring way ?? There is one with a silver disk affair in the center of the gasket and I wasn't sure if I had put that the wrong way around perhaps ? Is this possible even.

I am really hoping I have done something dumb, but easy to correct........wish.

Any thoughts guys??

Fish

Fish

The metal disc goes inward towards the carb body. Also closely examine the old gasket, make sure that the little holes line up with the old gasket,
if
they don't, use the old gasket.

Also, while apart, remove the needle/spring/lever and look through that passage, then blow it out, then look again, make sure visually that the passage is clear.

Reassemble.

B

burnerboy

Cheers for the tip Fish.

Oddly though, I pumped the bulb after leaving it over night and all was well !!!!

Took a couple of pulls but sparked into life and so far no more leaks and doesn't cut out when inverted.

Couple of things noticed though :-

1. The pull rope now seems to pull more before it turns over !! - sorry best way I can describe it.
2. It seems to bog on high revs - is this because I have just re-done the carb, fuel lines and filet or does it just need setting up again?

I was planning on re-setting the carbs in line with the workshop manual or is there a better way ?

Cheers