fs250 dies after about 30 min.. fuel delivery?

russcrisp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys.

I have a fs250 trimmer, and it fires up good, and runs fine for about 30 min or so, then dies.. sometimes I can pump the primer a few licks and it'll run again for a few min. loosening the filler cap doesn't help. I'm thinking some kind of fuel delivery issue. I pulled the filter out of the tank, and it looks ok. as does the line. thought about a coil issue after it heats up, but I'm leaning toward fuel issue. I suppose it could also be carb related, but runs great - before it dies..

anyone encountered such a problem before?

I'm thinking about a shotgun approach.. change the lines, filter, primer bulb, and filler cap. all are 10+ years old, so it wouldn't hurt, and shouldn't be too expensive..

Whatdaya say guys?

Russ

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Pull the muffler first and look at the piston for damage, as you likely have some if it is a fuel problem.

russcrisp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Fish.. How you doin man? Thanks for the kindness of your reply.

I had the muffler off the other day, and the piston looked ok to me through the exhaust port. No scoring. Checked the spark arrestor and it was clean. Had the plug out and it looked to me like it might be running a little lean.. no carb adjustments on this unit.

I read here on another post someone had a fuel line that was collapsing, causing the same symptom I'm having. I pulled the fuel filter, but didn't really note the texture of the line.. it's that pre-formed line that comes with it.. Not a tygon line.. It did seem to be excessively long. enough to kink up down in the tank perhaps. I dunno..

I'll swing down by the dealer in the morning and pick up the fuel lines and stuff, and have another go and see what happens.

russcrisp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greets NY. Thanks for the reply. I think I'll get a coil in the morning too.. I need this thing working.. Fall is still a ways out yet, here in NC anyway..

Russ

russcrisp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Follow up.. After throwing a lot of new parts at this unit, I believe the condition was caused by the needle lever in the carb being too low. I used a straight edge, and bent it up to where it was flush with the carb body, and the problem seems to be cured. I'll keep an eye on it to make sure it's not running lean, but this adjustment should richen things a bit..

Thanks again to all who replied.

russcrisp

Forum Newbie
Threads
another note.. I pressure and vacuum tested the system with the intake and outtake sealed up, and it held pressure in both directions for 10 min with no leakdown. this was good news..

later