FS-90r straight shaft, head turns at idle.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The shoes must freely rotate on the two collars Items 3 (Stihl calls them rings) and yes are replaceable. There spring wave washers item 5.

4180 clutch.JPG

joea99

Threads
The shoes must freely rotate on the two collars Items 3 (Stihl calls them rings) and yes are replaceable. There spring wave washers item 5.

View attachment 53757

Well, they certainly do not, in this case. I resorted to a 12 ton press to even move them a bit. Unfortunately I do not have tooling to press them out entirely. Even after penetrating fluid and getting them to "pop" they are still firmly stuck. Hardly seems worth the effort to beat on these any longer.

joea99

Threads
So, happy resolution, so far. No wanting to spend $50 bucks on a new clutch, I finally managed to free the pins after finding a part that fit as a jig I could use to press them out.

Cleaned up the pins and holes, put a thin smear of "brake system silicon" grease on them and reassembled. The thin coat of grease was mostly to try and impede it rusting up again.

Runs/idles better than ever. I also have an FS-80R at another location that had an "iffy" idle. Gonna check that clutch now too.