frequency to change hydro oil / filter but only average 70 hrs a year? Still yearly?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / frequency to change hydro oil / filter but only average 70 hrs a year? Still yearly?
Same thing goes for air filters. Leave them alone until you start having reduced power or say a few extra cranks to start her up.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / frequency to change hydro oil / filter but only average 70 hrs a year? Still yearly?
That IS the primary reason why domestic level trans are sealed .
Idiots drop dust into the gearbox that destroys a new mower then claim warranty .
I look at the transmission & tell them it was an abuse problem but they want to do the claim just the same so off it goes to the dealer who wants $ 800 to do the preclaim evaluation ( refunded if successful ) .
Owner is now pissed, pays the money , gets their claim knocked back the joins every social media group they can heaping abuse on the mower maker & the dealer .
Most professional lawn care companies will do a proper oil change
I had a Walker in a while back with a leaking oil seal on the axel
I refused to touch it as the fill ports have sealing tape on them and have a life time warranty so I could not refill the transmission without breaking the seal and voiding the "lifetime" warranty on the box
That mower now has 3000 hrs on it, drives have never been touched

NavyNancy

Threads
That IS the primary reason why domestic level trans are sealed .
Idiots drop dust into the gearbox that destroys a new mower then claim warranty .
I look at the transmission & tell them it was an abuse problem but they want to do the claim just the same so off it goes to the dealer who wants $ 800 to do the preclaim evaluation ( refunded if successful ) .
Owner is now pissed, pays the money , gets their claim knocked back the joins every social media group they can heaping abuse on the mower maker & the dealer .
Most professional lawn care companies will do a proper oil change
I had a Walker in a while back with a leaking oil seal on the axel
I refused to touch it as the fill ports have sealing tape on them and have a life time warranty so I could not refill the transmission without breaking the seal and voiding the "lifetime" warranty on the box
That mower now has 3000 hrs on it, drives have never been touched
In your honest opinion , for the average residential owner that only cuts 2-3 acres per week 4-5 months per year , is it even worth it for the consumer to change their hydro oil/ filter ? Would they really see a significant increase in the lifespan of their hydro drives/pumps by changing the oil/filters every few hundred hours ? Im just wondering if its even worth doing for the average residential homeowner { considering the time involved, the cost of the oil/ filters and the possibility of contamination} and it may be best to just never change oil/filters and never take the caps off the hydro resorvoirs { unless you needed to add a bit of oil to get it to the proper level}

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Considering the cost of a transmission yes
The frequency will depend upon your exact yard & how you use the machine
200 hrs is very conservative
If the oil looks new & fresh at 200 hrs then I would double that
If it was milky like in the video then sooner .

NavyNancy

Threads
Considering the cost of a transmission yes
The frequency will depend upon your exact yard & how you use the machine
200 hrs is very conservative
If the oil looks new & fresh at 200 hrs then I would double that
If it was milky like in the video then sooner .
Ty...so a visual inspection of the hydro oil in the reservoir, around the 200 hour mark is a good indicator of the need for changing the oil/ filters. If the oil still looks clean/ not milky in the reservoirs , then check it again around the 300-400 hr mark . In other words, do not change the hydro oil/ filters, until the look/ condition of the oil in the reservoirs indicates its time to do the service.